Neoprene Shoe Covers - alternatives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

My toes were absolutely freezing after a brief 10 miler this morning :cold: This afternoon I have discovered two things:
1. Winter shoes are flippin' expensive
2. Comparing Overshoes is a flippin' nightmare

Please continue this conversation as personal views on here are far more reliable that "reviews" in other places :thumbsup:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have tried all sorts of shoe covers before buying NorthWave winter boots. Save your money and just buy winter boots from the off.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
White is a fantastic colour for winter boots…not :wacko:
They also come in black.
White is not that difficult to keep clean.
fizik-tempo-artica-gtx-goretex-black-1-road-cycling-winter-shoes_1.jpeg

jay clock

Massive member
+1 for winter boots. Northwave Celsius i think i have. they also do/did a version called Fahrenheit for road pedals. i add heated chemical toe pads in very cold weather

Jameshow

Veteran
The old cheap method was polythene bags between two pairs of socks.

The outer pair of socks got wet, but your feet stayed dry, if a bit smelly. :laugh:

I did that today! Plastic bags over thick socks as have no access to my overshoes. Really cold but probably less cold than otherwise would have been!!

Happy_Days

Regular
Winter boots instead?
Assos claim their technical fabrics are breathable
I use Assos Evo toe covers, find them breathable, and don’t feel the need for overshoes or winter boots. YMMV.

https://www.assos.com/gb/spring-fall-toe-cover-evo-98951.html :okay:

Note the Evo toe covers are the newfangled version (sexier than the previous Assos toe covers 😉). While aren’t the cheapest, they should last longer than others because the entire underside is crafted from robust material, not neoprene.

Who knew there was so much to say about toe covers? :smile:

https://www.assos.com/gb/spring-fall-toe-cover-evo-98951.html :okay:

Note the Evo toe covers are the newfangled version (sexier than the previous Assos toe covers 😉). While aren’t the cheapest, they should last longer than others because the entire underside is crafted from robust material, not neoprene.
It's frustrating that more manufacturers don't do this (if they did, I might not have gone over to Winter boots in the main!). Neoprene soles have very limited life unless you find some way to never walk in your bike shoes.

It's not like such materials are expensive, or hard to work with; doesn't need anything fancy.

Top Bottom