Neoprene Shoe Covers - alternatives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
I purchased some Specialized Neoprene Shoe Covers to use with my S-Works Recon Lace
On the whole I've been very happy with them, they fit really well and have kept my feet dry and warm.
However the Neoprene material is not very breathable. This is most noticeable where the neoprene fabric covers my ankles over bib-tight/socks combo. - the sock was noticeably damp after a short ride of 1.5 hours. Less of an issue in the main part of the shoe but this might not be the case on a longer ride. The other issue with the neoprene is it's easily damaged. I got a small cut in the fabric on the inside right cover on the last ride, I'm assuming it probably caught the front derailleur or chain ring.
Is this the compromise you have put up with if using neoprene or is there an alternative fabric cover that breathes whilst keeping your feet warm and dry?

64323-340_APP_NEOPRENE-SHOE-COVERS_FRONT-3-4 copy.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Winter boots instead?
Or Assos claim their technical fabrics are breathable
https://www.assos.com/gb/man/accessories/overshoes.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You know the answer is winter boots ! Best invention ever. I asked family for cash for a 'birthday' a few years ago and used it to get some Shimano MW7 SPD boots for the MTB - being that overshoes are pretty useless on a MTB. What a revelation. So much so, I then sourced a hardly used pair of Shimano RW5's (road) from ebay.

So, it's either put up with replacing overshoes once a year/every two, or get boots. I used to swear by BBB Hardware PU coated overshoes - tough enough.

You know the answer is winter boots ! Best invention ever.
<snip...>
So, it's either put up with replacing overshoes once a year/every two, or get boots. I used to swear by BBB Hardware PU coated overshoes - tough enough.

Exactly.

The only time I use overshoes now is to carry on long rides in changeable conditions (i.e. almost all multi-day rides in Northern Europe!)

And boots are twice as quick to get in/out of, and to clean.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've size 50 feet so can't get boots to fit!

But have found that waterproof socks are excellent, much less faff than overshoes (which I also struggle to get big enough).

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Winter boots instead?
Or Assos claim their technical fabrics are breathable
https://www.assos.com/gb/man/accessories/overshoes.html
They look very good, however they appear to be designed specifically for road shoes. The Ultraz are £90 so would have to be a Sale pick-up.

You know the answer is winter boots ! Best invention ever. I asked family for cash for a 'birthday' a few years ago and used it to get some Shimano MW7 SPD boots for the MTB - being that overshoes are pretty useless on a MTB. What a revelation. So much so, I then sourced a hardly used pair of Shimano RW5's (road) from ebay.
I'd thought about this . The one thing that put me off was I found finding a shoe that fitted me quite a long endeavour and so once having something I was happy with I wanted to hang onto it. However, I think you're correct, winter boots are the long term solution. I better start making a short-list.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've size 50 feet so can't get boots to fit!

But have found that waterproof socks are excellent, much less faff than overshoes (which I also struggle to get big enough).

Sigma have Lake boots in size 50, Road or MTB
https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lake/CX146-Winter-Road-Shoes/VII5?id=1470332

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Lake/MX146-X-Winter-MTB-Shoes/VIHS?id=1470316
They look very good, however they appear to be designed specifically for road shoes. The Ultraz are £90 so would have to be a Sale pick-up.

you didn’t say what type of shoes, just the name and no link :smile:

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
you didn’t say what type of shoes, just the name and no link :smile:
Sorry, my bad. It wasn't a criticism. I did put a link into the covers but removed and replaced with a photo as wasn't sure I could product link in the forum. It appears the majority of covers are designed for road shoes - maybe I need to invest in road shoes, I do ride a road bike just like having something I can walk further than 2 feet in!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you riding in 'flats' - then you can get waterproof MTB boots, or move to SPD pedals (possibly single sided clips, one side flats). Loads of solutions, but overshoes with normal 'pedal/shoe combo will wear out quickly.

Top Bottom