Neoprene Shoe Covers - alternatives?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
However the Neoprene material is not very breathable. This is most noticeable where the neoprene fabric covers my ankles over bib-tight/socks combo. - the sock was noticeably damp after a short ride of 1.5 hours. Less of an issue in the main part of the shoe but this might not be the case on a longer ride.
Is this the compromise you have put up with if using neoprene or is there an alternative fabric cover that breathes whilst keeping your feet warm and dry?
on the specific question of NEOPRENE:

Yes, that is what neoprene does. It ain't breathable! But it is a very warm thing to be covered in during heavy rain.

(You can try wool socks, but the best answer is to not go out in the rain, and only wear breathable fabrics! :P )

GuyBoden

Guru
The old cheap method was polythene bags between two pairs of socks.

The outer pair of socks got wet, but your feet stayed dry, if a bit smelly. :laugh:

Last edited:

Oh, what a shame - only for 3-bolt riders :cry:

Big John

Guru
Winter boots. One of the best bits of cycling kit I've ever bought. And when it gets seriously cold I still put an overshoe on. I get cold feet even in summer but these boots (had them now for years) make life bearable. Until I got the boots I used neoprene overshoes and they were good but nowhere near as good as boots. Not cheap (around £100 many years ago) but they last and they work, or at least mine have.

Top Bottom