Nervous wreck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

It’s Almost 5 years since I got on a bike at the age of 61. The last time was about 50 years earlier and even then I never went more than a mile or so. I remember my first 10 miles, everything ached. :wub: I had to stand on the pedals for the last mile.
Now with padded shorts 50 Kms 2 or 3 times a week is normal.

Slowly slowly is the way forward. Good luck. :hello:
Thanks for that

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

When I came out of uni I was 16 stone and had to turn home after half a mile of cycling. Now I’m 10 stone and the idiot in the office who arrives on a bike before dawn in -5degrees. So yes you can achieve your goal.

Ref your symptoms- no pain no gain.
Thank you

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

I started cycling at 25 stone and hadn't cycled for some 20 years. I could barely get down the road and back without my thighs begging for mercy and my lungs burning. You have to take it easy and i imagine that must be difficult with confident cyclists around you but with patience and proper support from them you will find that you improve in pretty much all areas quite quickly after the initial aches and pains from the saddle, legs, shoulders, back etc... The last thing you want to do is injure yourself so don't push yourself early on, jump on and ride is all for now. If you feel confident at dusk or dawn then fine, but don't let others put you off, you are well within your rights to cycle whenever you want.

Good Luck :okay:
You see that HMS in front of your name that hints at physical fitness like the RM that lives near by. It terrifies me. But thank you for your encouragement

tom73

Guru
Thanks for the advice, been looking at the ladies stuff on fat lad at the back site.
Mrs 73 has FLAB stuff loves them. You can pick up stuff on eBay if you keep an eye out.
They have local groups too so maybe see if one near you once things start up again
She's done a few group rides and enjoyed it.
Quick story re FLAB we been on a ride and waiting for the train back. A random women came over and gave Mrs73 a massive hug, was really positive and friendly. Turned out she'd modelled for them and was so pleased to see people wearing it.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Mrs 73 has FLAB stuff loves them. You can pick up stuff on eBay if you keep an eye out.
They have local groups too so maybe see if one near you once things start up again
She's done a few group rides and enjoyed it.
Quick story re FLAB we been on a ride and waiting for the train back. A random women came over and gave Mrs73 a massive hug, was really positive and friendly. Turned out she'd modelled for them and was so pleased to see people wearing it.
Thanks for that

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Fifty is no age, you will be just fine.

The main advice I can give is to make your rides a trip with a destination, rather than a ride for ridings sake (easier said than done with the current Covid shutdown). If you have a goal like a landmark or a specific cafe, or visiting a relative, etc then the trips have a purpose and mentally it is a much easier undertaking.
Yes I like a goal. Thanks

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

What about setting a bike up on a turbo trainer @Fat and fifty ?
Just plonk it in an easyish gear and pedal away
start off doing say 5 minutes a day and build it up
And also using a turbo trainer will keep you safe during these horrid times
Or the exercise bike, good idea

I grew up in Cornwall and yes its ruddy hilly. My partner decided to start get fit and the begining of lockdown and is a mid 50's lady . She does not like riding on the road and her aim is to race Cyclocross with me come sept/october. Luckily I had 2 turbo trainers before lockdown and also power meters etc. We have done 80% of her fitness work on turbo trainers. The other thing she is not mentally competing with me on a turbo, just herself.
She has made vast improvements in aerobic capacity and power. Now when we go out she can manage every hill in our area bar one. Hills she could not ride before she now goes up non stop.
So I would recommend Turbo training, the same as @biggs682 it is generally considered that time 1hr on a turbo is worth something like 2 hrs on the road ( though no doubt someone will argue wth this .
Also my brother who is 62 and lives in Gweek and has not rode a bike since his 20's was furloughed and bought 2 old clonkers and made one out of them and has started cycling again.
Beware of other non cycling people tellling you that your mad trying, my partner gets this a fair amount from her family and work colleagues.
Good luck and keep at it!

jay clock

Massive member
Personally I wouldn't recommend indoors (certainly not if it means spending money) as it is mind numbingly dull. As a beginner it is nice to explore the local area and have the mental stimulation of looking hearing and smelling what is going on. Plus you easily see progress when an incline suddenly becomes more do-able

vickster

Legendary Member
Or the exercise bike, good idea
If you have an exercise bike, you could cycle outdoors during the day and use the exercise bike in the evening, pedal hard enough and long enough to get a bit of a sweat on and to raise your heart rate.
If you find your knees aching, make sure the saddle is high enough.

Paying attention to diet is also important of course if trying to lose weight, unfortunately, most of us can’t lose weight by exercise alone but it certainly helps as fitness is key too.

Good luck 👍

Top Bottom