Nervous wreck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
At 14 I was the lunatic who cycled on the wrong side round corners, hell for leather all the time, I loved it then, hope to get back to loving it again, on the right side ........

Well you'll be fine in no time then, if you enjoyed it then, you can enjoy it again.

I was pretty much the same at that age, the only difference being I didn't stop cycling.

(dragged my kids about, on all sorts of attachments too, but thats another story)

If you still want the thrill, of bombing round corners on the 'wrong' side of the road, whilst staying within the law, then you only have to cross The Channel.

I find tackling roundabouts on the rhs of the road makes far more sense, for some reason.. :wacko:

Last edited:

Kryton521

Über Member
You've taken the hardest step and that's the first. Time and a little effort and you'll get there. Others have said the same and done so better. But trust us, none of us got on and were perfect, and a lot still aren't and have to work on it on a daily basis

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Welcome to the forum and all the best for your cycling!

I'll echo what many have said already: we can all do it, don't be disheartened, and above all, simply enjoy riding your bike, without any pressures. The fitness naturally increases.

We all need some support & encouragement.

Oh and do get yourself some cycling shorts designed for women, once you start going further than a few miles.

Taking care of your undercarriage is very important, if you're not comfortable there, then you won't be happy.

Don't worry too much about achey buttock muscles, or that kind of thing, but the soft parts definitely need more care.

Dm me for further deets if you need.
(I'm a woman of similar vintage btw)

Yep... Keeping the lady bits happy is important. It's not very nice when things start to go numb / pinch down there. Been there, done that, suffered the pain...

An easy fix if that starts to happen is to put the nose of the saddle down a degree or two just to take the pressure off.

12boy

Guru
I believe diet is important....cutting back a little on what you eat and ramping up your exercise will help a lot. When this crisis is over some blood work and a physical, if you haven't had one for a while, may be of value in determining your diet. I like to think what do I need to eat instead of what should not be eaten. By the time the good-for-me stuff is gone, I am full and content. In the same way, I don't look at exercise as punishment but as an enjoyable investment in myself. I have found that it's fairly easy when taking up a new activity to overstress joints, tendons and muscles, especially those in the lower back. To avoid this, besides being patient about visible results, I suggest doing a little core work and some stretches as part of your daily routine. Think of them like brushing your teeth...something that is part of your daily routine. Every so often, in your own time, think of adding a little more to your now addictive routine. Having a couple of fall backs for crap weather also a good idea.... lifting weights, longer walks, going dancing with your sweet baboo, a yoga class...there are so many choices. Fifty is a great age...old enough to know who you are and what is and isn't a good idea and young enough to do what you like.

jay clock

Massive member
Agree with those who say eat carefully too. Easy to think because your 15 minute ride seemed so hard, it merits a Mars bar, when being frank it doesn't.

Eat more fruit and veg and less sugar and booze. You know what is good for you!

I have been in your boat!

Keep at it

JPBoothy

Veteran
:welcome: Well done for making the effort to change how you feel/look, as that takes more effort than the exercise itself.. Keep telling yourself that you're not fat, you are just not as fit as you'd like to be (but soon will be I'm sure). As others have already said though, you are best taking it steady and gradually building up to longer rides rather than going at it too enthusiastically, as that is a sure fire way to lose interest quickly. I know that you will probably be setting yourself targets/goals to achieve fitness and weight loss but, try not to be too strict on yourself so that you will continue to ride because you 'want to' rather than feeling that you 'have to'. Hopefully this lovely weather will continue into the summer as exploring on your bike in the nice warm sunshine is such a nice relaxing thing to do. I am constantly finding paths/lanes that I never knew existed and spotting nice houses or unusual things that you just don't see when in a car. Keep it up F&F and release that inner child once again :bicycle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you are nervous try some early morning rides now there is light from 5am. Its amazing to be out and about with the birds tweeting and hardly any vehicles. Welcome to the club.

Definitely a good idea, to go early morning, or later in the evening is lovely too.
Why not shortish rides, little and often.

Before you know it, you'll be as at home on a bike as walking. And you'll be extending your range.

It's a great way to get to know an area if you're new to it too.
Exploring all the little lanes and tracks -
- if things get too gnarly then just get off and walk :rolleyes:

You've still got a few weeks leeway before the ful on holiday traffic returns, I reckon.
Perfect timing. :okay:

I'm in Devon and the roads are so nice and quiet right now, there's about twice as many bikes, as cars - if only it would stay that way :wacko:

Top Bottom