Nervous wreck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

That's Cornwall for you.. But still it's beautiful so..

We all learn differently, but personally I find I'm best off left to my own devices once I've got the basics..

Someone directing (or criticising) your every move, in a "You don't want to do it like that" way, doesn't help with learning, or gaining confidence I don't find.

I train women in using machinery and in other skills, I find encouraging them to have faith in their own abilities, and then giving them lots of time to practice, practice practice, by themselves, is the best way to gain confidence.

And do expect to fluff stuff, now and then, it's fine, we all do.. :okay:

I have a friend who runs specific courses for women returners (or beginners) in cycling, I'll ask if she has any top tips..
But as the youth / meme brigade like to say.

"Don't give up - you got this"
:rolleyes:
Any tips are gratefully accepted. My son who is as Cornish as you can get dismisses the Don’t give up-you got this .... with she knows wosson.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Any tips are gratefully accepted. My son who is as Cornish as you can get dismisses the Don’t give up-you got this .... with she knows wosson.
:smile:

Ahh the mellifluous intonation of the broad Cornishman ^_^

Happy pedalling :bicycle:

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Don’t be terrified or feel embarrassed on your bike. It doesn‘t matter how large, how unfit, how slow someone else is when I see them on a bike. It’s just great to see someone out on a bike, hopefully enjoying the experience.

You will see by far the greatest gains in your fitness and confidence in these early days, weeks, months. The key is to develop a regular and consistent routine. One that you enjoy and fits in with what else you do. The aching muscles and wheezing are that you are not used to exercise. As time goes by your body will adapt and get fitter and then you’ll be ready to tackle something a bit longer and / or harder. Don’t feel pressure to do more than you are comfortable with for now.

Hopefully you’ll begin to look forward to your cycling time and you’ll be the one asking your husband or son if you can do a longer ride. My wife isn’t a keen cyclist but gyms closed means she comes out with me a couple of times per week. I plan these rides around what she wants to do, rather than what I want to do. I nearly always ride side by side or behind her going uphill so she doesn’t feel deflated seeing me pull away as I dance up the hill. I really don’t mind that it’s slower than what I’d be doing on my own. I’m sure your husband and son are the same.
Yes I’m unfit, but I am loving the cycling again, couple of weeks building up and I’ll be chuffed to go for a ride as opposed to trying to ride.....

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

I grew up in Cornwall and yes its ruddy hilly. My partner decided to start get fit and the begining of lockdown and is a mid 50's lady . She does not like riding on the road and her aim is to race Cyclocross with me come sept/october. Luckily I had 2 turbo trainers before lockdown and also power meters etc. We have done 80% of her fitness work on turbo trainers. The other thing she is not mentally competing with me on a turbo, just herself.
She has made vast improvements in aerobic capacity and power. Now when we go out she can manage every hill in our area bar one. Hills she could not ride before she now goes up non stop.
So I would recommend Turbo training, the same as @biggs682 it is generally considered that time 1hr on a turbo is worth something like 2 hrs on the road ( though no doubt someone will argue wth this .
Also my brother who is 62 and lives in Gweek and has not rode a bike since his 20's was furloughed and bought 2 old clonkers and made one out of them and has started cycling again.
Beware of other non cycling people tellling you that your mad trying, my partner gets this a fair amount from her family and work colleagues.
Good luck and keep at it!
Thanks

bobsinatra

Über Member
A female lol. Thanks though
Apologies Fellette :smile:

rustyroger

Like the bingo tv adverts say, when the fun stops, stop. Everyone here wants you to enjoy your bike and get home safe after every ride. I've just got back on a bike about a month ago after a 25 year break, a few miles was all I could manage at first, now I can enjoy a 10 mile round trip without hurting. Hopefully I'll be fit enough by the time it gets cold again to enjoy keeping it up over the winter months.

Roger.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Like the bingo tv adverts say, when the fun stops, stop. Everyone here wants you to enjoy your bike and get home safe after every ride. I've just got back on a bike about a month ago after a 25 year break, a few miles was all I could manage at first, now I can enjoy a 10 mile round trip without hurting. Hopefully I'll be fit enough by the time it gets cold again to enjoy keeping it up over the winter months.

Roger.
I have similar goals. I love riding my bike. I didn’t include in my introduction that I work a 12 shift then 2 days off. My last call is 9 pm and so I try to go out as soon as I get home normally around 9.30. I ride for around half an hr then home and bed. I’m determined to succeed and have already overcome 2 hurdles which have affected me for 25 years. I will do this. To all of you who have commented, your kind words of encouragement have had a positive effect. Thankyou

Top Bottom