Nervous wreck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Well done on getting started. Use the bike as often as possible for short trips and it will soon become second nature. Little and often is best while you build experience and fitness,

You should gradually raise your saddle until you get close to the 'heel on pedal' saddle height as it is more efficient. You put a lot of strain on your knees and thighs when the saddle is low. As you become more experienced it will become natural to slide off the saddle to get a foot on the ground as you come to a stop.
Funny how we become more fearful as we age, I was the lunatic, done for speeding so many times. Riding my bike on the wrong side of the road, yet not being able to put my foot down makes me nervous....
Riding little and often is all I can manage at the moment so thanks for your advice. It’s easier now than wen I started a few weeks ago.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Work hard because you want too. Don't make yourself go out if it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale. You aren't training for the Tour de France. keep it at a fun level. Nobody worth listening to will criticise you for not keeping up a hard schedule whatever the weather. Do keep us updated, we will pleased for you for every milestone you achieve, and if you have any setbacks you will find encouragement here.

Roger.
Thank you Roger, I really appreciate your encouragement and everyone else’s also.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

My wife and I ventured out on her furthest ride ever, 46 miles. 4 hours of cycling.

That distance would not have been possible without her Ebike giving a little assistance when she needed it.

She can see a possibility of multi day tours using an ebike, something never envisaged by her.
Good stuff.

LJR69

Absolutely you can do it! I started riding again about the same time as you after being out of the saddle for over 30 years. I know exactly how you feel, the self consciousness, constant worry about other road users, etc, but hopefully you’re really starting to enjoy the rides you are doing like I am.

Stick with it. You CAN do it....we both can!

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Absolutely you can do it! I started riding again about the same time as you after being out of the saddle for over 30 years. I know exactly how you feel, the self consciousness, constant worry about other road users, etc, but hopefully you’re really starting to enjoy the rides you are doing like I am.

Stick with it. You CAN do it....we both can!
Thankyou for your positivity and encouragement. Currently on crutches sooooo, no cycling

Stul

Veteran
..just by an e bike!...just got one after a gap of a few years and it is great..gives the benefit of both worlds. I am the wrong side of 60 and now regularly do 20+ mile rides, mainly in the lowest power setting which gives a range of 90 miles...problem is the bike seat only has a range of about 10!..

Top Bottom