Nervous wreck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petalpower

Regular
HI Fat and Fifty not much to add other than you're not on your own! I've just bought my first bike in over 30 odd years! I am a continuously damaged runner (only thing I think I've succeeded in!) so I thought I'd give cycling a go whilst the traffic is quiet and I've manged to surprise myself every time I've been out! But I'll admit first time I had a little go in the street I thought 'oh, you bloody idiot what have you bought this death trap for?' Wobble was an understatement! I had my seat at the lowest so i could touch the floor for a couple of days but my knees weren't happy so it's at a suitable height now...and guess what? I didn't fall over first time out like I was expecting.
What I find the hardest is actually getting out the door (and I was the same with running). Once I'm out and doing it I love it but it's the procrastination and the doubts beforehand. I need a kick up the proverbial quite frequently.
Anyway, you sound like you've got the determination to overcome your fears and I'm sure before long you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about! Keep at it, you're doing greeeeeaat! ^_^

johnnyb47

Guru
Today i saw many a cyclist out enjoying the sun.
From the hardened roadies to the occasional weekend Sunday riders. The point is, it's great to see so many people out there at the moment enjoying the freedom of cycling and hope the original poster was one of them today. Cycling is for everyone, no matter what age or level of fitness you are at. Whether you're a stealthy roadie dressed up looking like a Tiswas Pantom Flan Flinger or a casual rider on a BSO dressed in every day clothes it doesn't matter.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

HI Fat and Fifty not much to add other than you're not on your own! I've just bought my first bike in over 30 odd years! I am a continuously damaged runner (only thing I think I've succeeded in!) so I thought I'd give cycling a go whilst the traffic is quiet and I've manged to surprise myself every time I've been out! But I'll admit first time I had a little go in the street I thought 'oh, you bloody idiot what have you bought this death trap for?' Wobble was an understatement! I had my seat at the lowest so i could touch the floor for a couple of days but my knees weren't happy so it's at a suitable height now...and guess what? I didn't fall over first time out like I was expecting.
What I find the hardest is actually getting out the door (and I was the same with running). Once I'm out and doing it I love it but it's the procrastination and the doubts beforehand. I need a kick up the proverbial quite frequently.
Anyway, you sound like you've got the determination to overcome your fears and I'm sure before long you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about! Keep at it, you're doing greeeeeaat! ^_^

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Thanks for the encouragement. Yep, my seat was at the lowest, feet flat on the floor. I notice an improvement each week. I am determined to be able to go for a ride with my husband by the end of the summer.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Today i saw many a cyclist out enjoying the sun.
From the hardened roadies to the occasional weekend Sunday riders. The point is, it's great to see so many people out there at the moment enjoying the freedom of cycling and hope the original poster was one of them today. Cycling is for everyone, no matter what age or level of fitness you are at. Whether you're a stealthy roadie dressed up looking like a Tiswas Pantom Flan Flinger or a casual rider on a BSO dressed in every day clothes it doesn't matter.
My weekend off so I did go out today. Yes there are cyclists everywhere, the roads here are single track. Not easy trying to pass them ,,,,,,

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

There's nothing better getting away from it all with a ride out in the sun. How are you getting on with your cycling? Are feeling a little more confident now about getting out there👍👍
Yep I’m getting on well thanks jonnyb47, trouble is wen you’re unfit and every road out of your village is up hill I’m knackered before I get very far , but I’m getting there and won’t be beaten.😅

johnnyb47

Guru
That's brilliant news to hear. Just remember, if you make this your permanent life style you will soon see vast improvements in the levels of fitness as the weeks roll by. These hills will gradually become easier to get up, and then that's when you start to realise all the hard work in the beginning is starting to pay off. Not so long ago i would struggle on any hill that came my way and would be a complete wreck at the top of them and the thought of doing anything over 10 miles was an imaginable. Each day i would go out though and have a go and bit by bit i would increase my mileage. With each milestone of getting that little further, it really made me feel good about myself, and believe me you i was at rock bottom with personal issues and moral, with the things going on. Cycling really lifted me out of the dreadful depression i was going through, and lifted my low self esteem out if the ground. I too felt as you said in your beginning post "embarrassed" but with being involved with this great cycling forum "Cycle Chat" and making many new friends in the cycling community around me the encouragement that was given was priceless.
As i said before cycling is not just about getting fitter, but i find its equally amazing to helping with good mental well being.
Life is not to great at the moment with all the doom and gloom in the news but just getting out there once a day in the open air really helps.
Please stay in touch with the forum and let us all know how your getting on.
All the very best 👍

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

That's brilliant news to hear. Just remember, if you make this your permanent life style you will soon see vast improvements in the levels of fitness as the weeks roll by. These hills will gradually become easier to get up, and then that's when you start to realise all the hard work in the beginning is starting to pay off. Not so long ago i would struggle on any hill that came my way and would be a complete wreck at the top of them and the thought of doing anything over 10 miles was an imaginable. Each day i would go out though and have a go and bit by bit i would increase my mileage. With each milestone of getting that little further, it really made me feel good about myself, and believe me you i was at rock bottom with personal issues and moral, with the things going on. Cycling really lifted me out of the dreadful depression i was going through, and lifted my low self esteem out if the ground. I too felt as you said in your beginning post "embarrassed" but with being involved with this great cycling forum "Cycle Chat" and making many new friends in the cycling community around me the encouragement that was given was priceless.
As i said before cycling is not just about getting fitter, but i find its equally amazing to helping with good mental well being.
Life is not to great at the moment with all the doom and gloom in the news but just getting out there once a day in the open air really helps.
Please stay in touch with the forum and let us all know how your getting on.
All the very best 👍
I’ll do an update on the forum next week, work extra hard so I’ve got something worth sharing.
Glad you’re cycling if you’re going thru a difficult, well done you.

boydj

Legendary Member
Thanks for the encouragement. Yep, my seat was at the lowest, feet flat on the floor. I notice an improvement each week. I am determined to be able to go for a ride with my husband by the end of the summer.

Well done on getting started. Use the bike as often as possible for short trips and it will soon become second nature. Little and often is best while you build experience and fitness,

You should gradually raise your saddle until you get close to the 'heel on pedal' saddle height as it is more efficient. You put a lot of strain on your knees and thighs when the saddle is low. As you become more experienced it will become natural to slide off the saddle to get a foot on the ground as you come to a stop.

rustyroger

I’ll do an update on the forum next week, work extra hard so I’ve got something worth sharing.
Glad you’re cycling if you’re going thru a difficult, well done you.
Work hard because you want too. Don't make yourself go out if it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale. You aren't training for the Tour de France. keep it at a fun level. Nobody worth listening to will criticise you for not keeping up a hard schedule whatever the weather. Do keep us updated, we will pleased for you for every milestone you achieve, and if you have any setbacks you will find encouragement here.

Roger.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As others have said, go little and often, enjoy it for what it is.
Your fitness will build.

Don't compete, ignore anyone who asks about how far or how fast.

Also get off and push if you need to, some Cornish hills can be brutal, you still be getting fitter walking up them.

Practise understanding how your gears work so that you don't lose momentum, or use more energy than you need to.

Take snacks, and water, and use suncream.
Stretch a bit before and after.

Never worry what other people are thinking about you.
No one is actually thinking anything beyond, oh look there's a cyclist, I'd give them plenty of room.

At least atm the Cornish roads are much quieter than they would normally be.

My last cycling holiday just before lock down was in Cornwall - very nice :okay:

It's a good time for you to be gaining confidence on quieter roads - and once you've got the basics sorted, confidence is really all you néed :okay:
When I started cycling many years ago it was quite normal to get off and walk up hills too steep to cycle. I still do that on two wheels but now I have a problem as a trike is not the kind of machine where you can get off and push easily.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If I'm unloaded and can't go faster than walking pace I will get off and push.. Makes a nice change for the bod.

If however, I'm luggaged up I'll tend to keep on keeping on for as long as poss, no matter how slow, as pushing a loaded bike from one side is hard on your back..

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't make yourself go out if it's pouring with rain and blowing a gale. You aren't training for the Tour de France. keep it at a fun level. Nobody worth listening to will criticise you for not keeping up a hard schedule whatever the weather.

Absolutely; forced anything takes the fun out of it. Pretty low mileage for me this past week. Only rode two days in the week as I was feeling knackered after work. Didn't ride Saturday because it was too windy. I could have beasted myself fighting headwinds, but no-one is paying me to do it, so I gave it a miss and just walked a couple of miles. Yesterday I walked several miles doing shopping/errands, so I was on my feet a lot and I didn't feel like riding later - so I didn't ride. Today I needed to collect something from Toolstation so I went out on the bike and did 22 miles including a little detour. Killed two birds with one stone; got some exercise and ran an errand at the same time
All the casual utility journeys are still cycling and they do add up if you do them regularly.

Top Bottom