Nervous wreck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Don’t be terrified or feel embarrassed on your bike. It doesn‘t matter how large, how unfit, how slow someone else is when I see them on a bike. It’s just great to see someone out on a bike, hopefully enjoying the experience.

You will see by far the greatest gains in your fitness and confidence in these early days, weeks, months. The key is to develop a regular and consistent routine. One that you enjoy and fits in with what else you do. The aching muscles and wheezing are that you are not used to exercise. As time goes by your body will adapt and get fitter and then you’ll be ready to tackle something a bit longer and / or harder. Don’t feel pressure to do more than you are comfortable with for now.

Hopefully you’ll begin to look forward to your cycling time and you’ll be the one asking your husband or son if you can do a longer ride. My wife isn’t a keen cyclist but gyms closed means she comes out with me a couple of times per week. I plan these rides around what she wants to do, rather than what I want to do. I nearly always ride side by side or behind her going uphill so she doesn’t feel deflated seeing me pull away as I dance up the hill. I really don’t mind that it’s slower than what I’d be doing on my own. I’m sure your husband and son are the same.

stuarttunstall

If you are nervous try some early morning rides now there is light from 5am. Its amazing to be out and about with the birds tweeting and hardly any vehicles. Welcome to the club.

That's what I do, live in the country, ride the country lanes and go out about 6.30am each morning the last month as I am off work... great, no vehicles, very few people, few horses in the fields, sheep, deer, rabbits and the birds singing....

This morning.....

CXRAndy

Guru
My wife likes to have a little pootle every few days. She was initially put off by the slowness of her pace. More embarrassed she was holding me back.

I built her an Ebike, her speed obviously jumped up. But what it did was allow her to get going a bit further and faster from the get go. She doesn't ride all year round so her Cycle fitness drops away in winter.

Now after several weeks of riding she has the power turned down to minimum for most of the rides and only uses more assistance it when tired on hills.

Our first ride this spring was a 18miler. Before her ebike that would have been less than 5 miles.

Small outings increase to longer and further rides given enough time- good luck, stick at it

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd say go by yourself, if you can, then you're totally going at your own pace, whatever that is, and that's absolutely fine.

Even if people are being nice and waiting for you / going slower, it's hard not to compare yourself or feel less able.

By yourself you've only got yourself to please.

... This is my preferred type of cycling anyhow - on a day ride, or a tour, I'll occasionally 'invite' someone else along - but they have to put up with me stopping to take pictures of cows all the time :rolleyes:

So much more freedom :okay:

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Well done and good luck. My wife has just read this thread and you’ve inspired her to give cycling a go...so wow! You’re not only changing your life but other people’s as well!
I thought it would be easier but knew it wouldn’t!!! Chuffed with what I did last night, so much further than before. Glad your wife is inspired, never thought I’d be doing that for anyone.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

:welcome: Well done for making the effort to change how you feel/look, as that takes more effort than the exercise itself.. Keep telling yourself that you're not fat, you are just not as fit as you'd like to be (but soon will be I'm sure). As others have already said though, you are best taking it steady and gradually building up to longer rides rather than going at it too enthusiastically, as that is a sure fire way to lose interest quickly. I know that you will probably be setting yourself targets/goals to achieve fitness and weight loss but, try not to be too strict on yourself so that you will continue to ride because you 'want to' rather than feeling that you 'have to'. Hopefully this lovely weather will continue into the summer as exploring on your bike in the nice warm sunshine is such a nice relaxing thing to do. I am constantly finding paths/lanes that I never knew existed and spotting nice houses or unusual things that you just don't see when in a car. Keep it up F&F and release that inner child once again :bicycle:
Thanks for the encouragement, it’s fantastic to have this lovely weather, it helps as it’s still light ish wen I finish my last shift at about 9.30pm

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Definitely a good idea, to go early morning, or later in the evening is lovely too.
Why not shortish rides, little and often.

Before you know it, you'll be as at home on a bike as walking. And you'll be extending your range.

It's a great way to get to know an area if you're new to it too.
Exploring all the little lanes and tracks -
- if things get too gnarly then just get off and walk :rolleyes:

You've still got a few weeks leeway before the ful on holiday traffic returns, I reckon.
Perfect timing. :okay:

I'm in Devon and the roads are so nice and quiet right now, there's about twice as many bikes, as cars - if only it would stay that way :wacko:
There are so many hills where I live, with lots of short level bits in between, getting the hang of changing gear is a trial but it’s improving daily.

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

My wife likes to have a little pootle every few days. She was initially put off by the slowness of her pace. More embarrassed she was holding me back.

I built her an Ebike, her speed obviously jumped up. But what it did was allow her to get going a bit further and faster from the get go. She doesn't ride all year round so her Cycle fitness drops away in winter.

Now after several weeks of riding she has the power turned down to minimum for most of the rides and only uses more assistance it when tired on hills.

Our first ride this spring was a 18miler. Before her ebike that would have been less than 5 miles.

Small outings increase to longer and further rides given enough time- good luck, stick at it

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

I'd say go by yourself, if you can, then you're totally going at your own pace, whatever that is, and that's absolutely fine.

Even if people are being nice and waiting for you / going slower, it's hard not to compare yourself or feel less able.

By yourself you've only got yourself to please.

... This is my preferred type of cycling anyhow - on a day ride, or a tour, I'll occasionally 'invite' someone else along - but they have to put up with me stopping to take pictures of cows all the time :rolleyes:

So much more freedom :okay:
Yes I’ll be on my own for a while, then my hubby will have to put up with me having a Kodak moment....

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's Cornwall for you.. But still it's beautiful so..

We all learn differently, but personally I find I'm best off left to my own devices once I've got the basics..

Someone directing (or criticising) your every move, in a "You don't want to do it like that" way, doesn't help with learning, or gaining confidence I don't find.

I train women in using machinery and in other skills, I find encouraging them to have faith in their own abilities, and then giving them lots of time to practice, practice practice, by themselves, is the best way to gain confidence.

And do expect to fluff stuff, now and then, it's fine, we all do.. :okay:

I have a friend who runs specific courses for women returners (or beginners) in cycling, I'll ask if she has any top tips..
But as the youth / meme brigade like to say.

"Don't give up - you got this"
:rolleyes:

OP
OP
F

Fat and fifty

Little and often to start with, don’t make it an ordeal. Set yourself modest, achievable targets each week and when it gets easier to hit them - and it will - congratulate yourself and think about the next point you’d like to get to. I guarantee you will make noticeable progress within a few weeks, either doing the same route with less effort, or choosing to extend.

If your family are cyclists they should be able to ensure you have adjusted your bike to suit, as getting saddle height right makes a big difference to comfort as your body learns what is now expected of it.

Keep checking in here for further encouragement and tell us about your progress.
Yep my family encourage me greatly and the bike is fitted to me.
I notice a small difference everyday. Which thrills me and I like a bit of competition even if it’s only with myself 😆

Top Bottom