Netherlands tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris__P

Hi Rich, hows it going?

After reading through this post in Germany, I decided to head back to the UK through Holland and see the Afsluitdijk for myself (the wrong way!). Well I wanted to be able to answer your Q properly!

I came in from Germany in the NE of Holland, and went to Groningen and Leuwarden in the North. Groningen is a fantastic place. Maybe I just think that because it is a University town and therefore full of pretty girls on bicycles! But bicycles rule here, the roads around town are just full of them and the few cars are forced to go at bicycle speed, brilliant. Leuwarden was smaller, had fantastic cycle routes, and, for some reason, the most learner drivers ever. Nothing much here. I also went up to the north coast, which was pretty remote and typically dutch - flat, wind turbines, cows and sheep.

Then the Afsluitdijk. I went through Zurich which is tiny, but I noticed at least one hotel, think it was called De Steenan Man or something, looked ok. The Afsluitdijk itself was ok, like others have said just a very long, straight path. But most of the time while you are riding you are between the road and a flood defence so its not like you feel you are riding across the sea. Its a novelty but not amazing. Had a few people toot their horns (I think in support) and when I got to Alkmaar the next day a woman came up to me and said she saw me riding across it, so it might make you a minor celebrity. I obviously went south across it, but didn't have any issues with the wind, maybe I was lucky but I never had any problems with it in Holland.

Now for the best bit of cycling I did in Holland - the west coast. It is brilliant, not like the rest of Holland at all. Its dunes country and you actually get some small 'hills' despite being so near the sea. I followed LF1 down the coast and would highly recommend it. All cycle paths and through some spectacular scenery. Definately the best bit of the country that I saw.

I also dipped inland to Alkmaar and Amsterdam, and then went down through Den Haag and Rotterdam. Not much to see in the last two, but if you do find yourself down there, try and take in Delft, its the best town down there.

So, my suggestion would be to DEFINATELY try and work the west coast into your route (LF1) but I would also suggest going somewhere else to get a taste of the 'real' Holland too

Hope this helps

I'll probably put something on CGOAB when I get the chance too with pics etc

Chris

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'll second that comment about the west coast. Much more pleasant and varied than the north.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheers Chris. That's great info which I'll incorporate into the route if at all possible. I had heard that Gronigen was worth a visit, so thanks for confirming that. Pretty girls too! I wonder if I can dump the wife:ohmy:

I think the jury's out on the Afsluitdijk - I'd imagined being able to feel you were cycling on the ocean but maybe my imagination ran a bit wild!

I look forward to your crazyguy though for more inspiration.

just4fun

i hope you have an amazing time, its not all flat though! The LF cycle paths from my limited experience (cycling from Hoek to Texel) are better than many british roads. I found it to be so beautiful and i liked the scenic routes the cycle paths take you on which for me was just sustained natural countryside. Depending on what you intend there are camp sites all over the shop including the nature camping where cars are not aloud on site. i met some lovely people there (in fact all through Netherlands). I would suggest you take detailed maps just in case as lots of time can be wasted getting lost in cities that you may pass though.
You can cross the afsluitk on bike. ( i heard it boring and windy)

the bulbs in spring will be stunning whilst to the sand dunes in summer will be a wash with heather and the beaches along the entire west coast are fantastic and so close to the cycling routes.

have a wonderful time on your holiday

friedel

Well, I just saw this. Guess I need to drop in more often!

Sorry if these have been mentioned before. I haven't thoroughly scanned all the pages but:

1. Definitely check out the Wereldfietser cycling club http://wereldfietser.nl/ (translate it with Google if you need to) and see if you can meet them for one of their weekend trips. Great fun!
2. We just did a podcast on cycling in Holland: http://travellingtwo.com/2522
3. Come visit us, if we have a house by then! We are in Den Haag now.
4. This is a great site for route planning: http://www.nederlandfietsland.nl/home-nf/
5. The Veluwe is a beautiful place to ride in Holland and definitely not all flat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veluwe

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks everyone for the help. I'm revising my ideas at the moment, in the light of what's been said and I'm thinking that I won't get the train from Den Hoek to Zwolle as I had planned. I see that you have to change trains twice and I see a few issues with 6 loaded tourers at Amsterdam station.
Also as wind has often cropped up, although not for Chris P, maybe a better route would be travel up the west coast from Den Hoek and swing round to Gronigen.
the west coast seems attractive with or without the Afsluitdijk.
Thanks for the offer Fridel but I suspect your house may not be big enough for all of us! I'll definitely check out your other links.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
You could have a bash at doing the whole country by getting the train down to Maastricht which is a lovely place at the southernmost tip of NL (apparently nowhere is more than 2 1/2 hrs from anywhere else by train). Utrecht is definitely worth a stop. My suggestion is to pick start and finish places, then have a flick through the Baedecker guide for the country and just plan in towns that are worth a look. You won't go wrong whatever you do.

And a note on embarrassment avoidance: slagroom is whipped cream. Knowing this will stop you following in the footsteps of a not too bright mate of mine who couldn't understand why the brothels looked like cafes.

U

User169

Not sure that this is entirely helpful, but my own "research" indicates that Arnhem has the highest number of good looking girls.

If you do come through Delft, I can point in the direction of slagroom.

chris__P

Delftse Post said:
Not sure that this is entirely helpful, but my own "research" indicates that Arnhem has the highest number of good looking girls.

Unbelievable - just about the only place I didn't go through in Holland

friedel

rich p said:
Thanks for the offer Fridel but I suspect your house may not be big enough for all of us! I'll definitely check out your other links.

Well, you just never know! Do let us know if you're coming through and at least we can treat you to cake and coffee somewhere.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
friedel said:
Well, you just never know! Do let us know if you're coming through and at least we can treat you to cake and coffee somewhere.

Excellent! I will definitely advise you of our arrival for a cake stop at least!

What do you think of my latest plan to travel north up the west coast from Den Hoek and the head east towards Groningen, then south west towards Veluwe?

U

User169

Same offer applies re cake (or something stronger) if you're passing through Delft, Rich.

You're plan looks good to me - you're definitely doing it the right way around. If you go to the Hoge Veluwe park, you could stop by the Kröller-Müller Museum (art museum with a good van Gogh collection).

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Delftse Post said:
Same offer applies re cake (or something stronger) if you're passing through Delft, Rich.

You're plan looks good to me - you're definitely doing it the right way around. If you go to the Hoge Veluwe park, you could stop by the Kröller-Müller Museum (art museum with a good van Gogh collection).

The Cake Tour!!! It get's better and better:tongue:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
BILD0037.JPG

Top Bottom