Netherlands tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

rich p said:
The swimming pool might be a bit fresh in early April:cold::sad:

Our last night looks like being in a lowly rated hotel in Gouda but there's little choice in the area at a reasonable price. Is Gouda a reasonable town?

Gouda's a pretty place, but there's not an awful lot to see/do there.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Just seen this thread.

Gouda has a market square, a town hall, a cheese museum and that's it. Half an hour tops. Try pushing on if possible.

The dyke from Enkhuizen to Lelystad is definitely doable. There is a cycle path alongside the road. I prefer this dyke to the Afsluitdijk (quieter, got a curve in it, more to see and only slightly shorter). Be aware though that cycling along a dyke might not be as great an experience as you might think. You will always have the dyke (i.e. a grass embankment and no view) on one side of you. The Markerwaarddijk (which turns into the Houtribdijk halfway across the Ijsselmeer) has the additional disadvantage of ending in Lelystad (an ugly town built for cars and a bugger to find your way out of) which is in Flevoland province (deadly dull but can fortunately be exited in a couple of hours).

Of your route suggestions, Groningen is a nice town but the countryside around it turns a young person's thoughts to suicide. If you go over the Afsluitduijk the eastern side of the Ijsselmeer is very nice and will give you access to the Veluwe (definitely worth visiting) although a grand tour with six novices in one week may be asking a bit much.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'd prefer the towns to be nice rather than dire but as it's only an evening including a meal it's not critical. The days of travel are the main event.
Alan, there are only 2 novices but we have the lowest common denominator factor. Given that and the time available it will be the Markerwaarddijk to enable a round tour.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Presuming you're coming from Hook of Holland, the route would then be LF1 Route north along the coast via Delft, Leiden and tulip fields around Lisse to Haarlem -- Amsterdam -- LF23 Zuyderzee Route clockwise via Edam, Volendam, Hoorn and Enkhuizen -- Makerwaarddijk (retrace route from Enkhuizen for about 2km) -- leave Flevoland via the bridge to Elburg -- south and then west to cross the Veluwe (either Apeldoorn - Utrecht or Apeldoorn - Arnhem - Utrecht depending on time) -- Hook of Holland.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Delftse Post said:
Gouda's a pretty place, but there's not an awful lot to see/do there.

I stayed in Gouda and, whilst beautiful, it was SO dull. I got there at midday on a Sunday and nearly died of boredom. I really regret not pushing on and covering more miles that day, but I had a hotel booked.

Hotel in question was the Kraiserkroon. I had the world's smallest single room which was very basic, but it was very clean and the breakfast buffet was good. Not sure I'd recommend it though.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alan - that's pretty much the route in a nutshell

Cathryn - I suspect you mean the Keizerskroon which seems to be the only reasonably priced one in the area. Maybe I'll have a rethink .

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I did mean that one, I just can't spell.

It's not a bad hotel by any means, so don't let me put you off. I got a bit annoyed at a postage stamp single room. But you'd stay in doubles/twins I guess so you'd avoid that room and, as I said, the breakfast buffet is good. I ate my room price in the morning.

You're right that it's the only reasonable place in Gouda.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alan H said:
Gouda has a market square, a town hall, a cheese museum and that's it. Half an hour tops. Try pushing on if possible.

A cheese museum! What more could you want?;)

I think it's Bruges, has a chip museum. Those continentals know what's important...:wahhey:

Presumably, anywhere is less dull in company, if it has a restuarant or bar or two...

Haitch

Flim Flormally
rich p said:
that's pretty much the route in a nutshell.

If you fancy meeting up, ping me nearer the date. I'm in Amersfoort.

If you are leaving from Hook of Holland, you might want to consider getting the train back from Gouda or Utrecht. A quick glance at Google maps shows that virtually all the route from Gouda is either urban sprawl or polder. The train from Utrecht to Rotterdam (bike the last bit) costs 9.20 euros plus 6 euros for a bike per person. Bikes aren't allowed on trains during the rush hour (something to bear in mind with a view to the ferry times).

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Back to the tour, I forgot to mention it but there is a ferry service from Enkhuizen across the Ijsselmeer to Stavoren (starting on 17 April).

If you have time, the Zuyderzee Route along the Ijsselmeer from Stavoren is very nice.

paulrw

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this already. There's an organisation called 'cyclists friends' in Holland and they provide cheap B&B. My experience is limited but Used them last summer for a night. I stayed with a nice couple who even made me a packed lunch and gave me some good route advice. It was only 16 euros. You send off for membership (8 euros I think) and they send you a book with about 2 or 3 thousand addresses and maps etc. I think the organisation is called "Vreinden op de Fietes" or similar. Nothing available on this via tourist offices.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I saw thaat site but I thought it was unlikely that they would have 3 doubles available. What do you think?

paulrw

Some of them can accomodate that number. All capacities are listed in the book right down to the type of room. eg 1x1;2x2;1x3 etc. Plus there are more than one in similar locations.

Top Bottom