Netherlands tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alan H said:
If you're staying in Putten use the fietsnetwerk to plot a course over the Veluwe (in an arc going towards Apeldoorn and Arnhem) and through the woods to get to Tiel. You'll be riding on small paths, low/no-traffic roads. It might turn out a lot longer than 53km but if you have a good route it will be one of the best, if not the best, day's cycling.

Thanks, Alan. I was thinking of doing a more circuitous route through the Veluwe after Friedel recommended it.

just4fun

In the Summer i will be heading back to the Netherlands for a touring holiday. Instead of my usual LF1 route, I am thinking of going to Gelderland because of the number of the natuur kampeer sites. Could anyone recommend any particularly nice natuur kampeer site in this (?)province please.
I would also appreciate any other cycling/ tourist info about Gelderland as i havent been to that area before.
Many thanks
Gary

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Sorry, just4fun, but I have no experience camping in Holland. Perhaps this site can help you. If you click through to the map you can zoom in on Gelderland and see precisely where the camp sites are. I understand that they can be fairly basic.

Gelderland is a lovely province. If you want to do a good tour of it, the easiest thing to do would be to follow the Veluwe Route. There is information here in Dutch only I'm afraid but you can at least click the "Interactieve Fietskaart" button in the top left to find a map.

just4fun

Thank you both for your replys. Fortunately my Partner is half Dutch so she can translate (most of) the info on those pages which will be very helpful to us. Sadly since i last posted she is having 2nd thoughts about another 'bike adventure' instead suggesting camping in the South of France because she needs a rest. Hmm..... there is work to be done!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I've biked past that fort many times and never realised it housed a campsite. Glorious cycling territory on both sides of the river.

If you're still looking for a route from Tiel to Gouda, Rich, you could do a lot worse than going via Buren / Culemborg (cross the River Lek in Culemborg) / Oudewater (famous for its witch dunking) and then enter Gouda from the north so that you cycle through the Reeuwijkse Plassen. A lot, lot worse.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alan H said:
I've biked past that fort many times and never realised it housed a campsite. Glorious cycling territory on both sides of the river.

If you're still looking for a route from Tiel to Gouda, Rich, you could do a lot worse than going via Buren / Culemborg (cross the River Lek in Culemborg) / Oudewater (famous for its witch dunking) and then enter Gouda from the north so that you cycle through the Reeuwijkse Plassen. A lot, lot worse.

Cheers, Alan, duly noted. That's the route sorted for that bit.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cathryn said:
There's a cafe in Oudewater on the bridge to the east of the witches weigh house and it does the BEST applecake I've ever tasted!!!

I'm more of a savoury person but as you keep blarting on about applecake, Cat, I'm going to have to give it a go!

U

User169

Savoury you say? Bitterballen will be right up your street...

fietsbitterbal.jpg

Haitch

Flim Flormally
rich p said:
Cheers, Alan, duly noted. That's the route sorted for that bit.

After Buren, head north to Zoelmond and then up to the river and ride along the dyke, much nicer than going through the polder. Culemborg is an attractive, historic town; go into the centre for a coffee and some of Delft's bitter balls before catching the ferry.

Top Bottom