Netherlands tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alan H said:
After Buren, head north to Zoelmond and then up to the river and ride along the dyke, much nicer than going through the polder. Culemborg is an attractive, historic town; go into the centre for a coffee and some of Delft's bitter balls before catching the ferry.

Is it a ferry or a bridge at Culemborg?

Haitch

Flim Flormally
rich p said:
Is it a ferry or a bridge at Culemborg?

It's a ferry. It will start operating at about 6 in the morning and stop at about 11 at night, shuttling back and forth across the river all day. Maximum waiting time will be about 10 minutes. It takes 5 minutes or so to cross and will cost less than one euro per person with bike.

Similar ferries are operated at Wageningen, Amerongen, Wijk bij Duurstede and Beusichem (to the east of Culemborg) and at Vianen (to the west). Cycling along the dyke (which really is preferable to going through the polder!!), you will see two bridges in the distance. The first one is a railway bridge and the second is the A27 motorway. Bikes are not allowed on either of these bridges.

Further on, to the west of Vianen, is the A2 motorway bridge. Bikes can use this bridge to cross the river. Even further to the west, there are ferries at Ameide, Gelkenes and opposite Bergstoep. After that you have overshot Gouda and are into uncharted territory.

The River Lek is a branch of the Rhine. How cool is that? Going on a Rhine cruise!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm off on the tour on Saturday for a week.
Firstly, thanks for the route advice and food tips (apple wotsits and savoury balls!).
I'm slightly disturbed that Metcheck is forsating snow now and next week for the Netherlands:ohmy:
Is it snowing there? Temps of zero to 3 degrees predicted.

HelenD123

Guru
rich p said:
I'm off on the tour on Saturday for a week.
Firstly, thanks for the route advice and food tips (apple wotsits and savoury balls!).
I'm slightly disturbed that Metcheck is forsating snow now and next week for the Netherlands:ohmy:
Is it snowing there? Temps of zero to 3 degrees predicted.

Ignore the metcheck forecast. It predicted hail when Punkypossum and I did the Amsterdame ride last June and the weather was fine!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Alan H said:
It's a beautiful spring day here. Bit chilly in the morning but lots of sunshine.

Practise your Dutch by taking a look at this weather site.

Have a good trip.

Thanks, Alan, that looks altogether more promising!

HelenD123 said:
Ignore the metcheck forecast. It predicted hail when Punkypossum and I did the Amsterdame ride last June and the weather was fine!

Metcheck does seem a bit melodramatic at times!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Delftse Post said:
Very sunny here in Amsterdam today!

Have a good one.

Are there any Dutch beers I should look out for, DP? I'm not expecting Belgian quality but .....

Haitch

Flim Flormally
rich p said:
Are there any Dutch beers I should look out for, DP? I'm not expecting Belgian quality but .....

Your best bet is one of the bottled Belgian beers available in nearly every supermarket and bar.

U

User169

rich p said:

As Alan says, Belgian bottled stuff is widely available. However, there are some good Dutch beers, although you'll likely only find them bottled unless you find a good bar or go to the brewery itself. Look out for anything by:

Brouwerij de Molen - I think you're going through Gouda. Try to get there via Bodengraven and call in at Brouwerij de Molen; they have a very decent restaurant, tasting room and shop. Their own beers are excellent!
Brouwerij 't Ij - they have a brewery and pub in Amsterdam

La Trappe - only Dutch trappist brewery (just) and usually available in supermarkets.

Brouwerij de Leckere - based near Utrecht and produces some good organic beer (might find them in an organic shop).

(I'll try to remember a few more when I have some more time.)

Top Bottom