Netherlands tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
paulrw said:
Some of them can accomodate that number. All capacities are listed in the book right down to the type of room. eg 1x1;2x2;1x3 etc. Plus there are more than one in similar locations.

Cheers Paul. It's worth a punt for a few euros.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alan H said:
Take a butcher's cheesemaker's.

There is a pasta museum in Rome near the Trevi Fountain.

And Leer in Germany has a tea museum.

"From 1850 onward only cheeses were admitted for weighing. "

Fantastic, I have an image of hams being turned away, looking sad...

Oh dear, you've started something here. I have a vague longterm plan to go off and 'do' Europe, although with no particular aim in mind. Food museums sounds like a jolly good aim...:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alan H said:
France should be a piece of cake.

I see they suggest it is a good location for

"vos rendez-vous d'affaires,"

Now, I think I'm right that affaires means 'business', but I love the idea of an illicit romantic rendezvous in a cake museum!:biggrin:;)

soltour

I did holland last year....cut right before zwolle and took a ferry to go diagonal across the country...I tend to bypass big places, much prefer small villages..oh yes crossed the elbe at the usual place of gluckstadt...proceeded onto denmark....very nice as well, especially on that east coast

Rich p, This might be a bit cheeky but could you share your route plans and hotels with me. Since taking up cycling last year I've had a notion to cycle from my house to NL and back. Since I'm doing this on my own, (him in doors wont go out the UK), and not knowing anything about NL, I feel having a good information base to start from will give me confidence to go. Plus how are you getting to the NL.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Turdus philomelos said:
Rich p, This might be a bit cheeky but could you share your route plans and hotels with me. Since taking up cycling last year I've had a notion to cycle from my house to NL and back. Since I'm doing this on my own, (him in doors wont go out the UK), and not knowing anything about NL, I feel having a good information base to start from will give me confidence to go. Plus how are you getting to the NL.

Hi Song Thrush:biggrin:
I'm more than happy to share my details with you. I'm travelling on the overnight ferry from Harwich to the Hook of Holland on Saturday 17th April and returning on the overnight boat on Friday 23rd.

The itinerary is:
Hoek van Holland
IJmuiden
Enkhuizen
Putten
Tiel
Gouda
Hoek van Holland - via Delft

If you pm me your email address I'll send you the list of hotels in these places that I've booked. I chose them on a basis of cheapness, availability and quality - in that order!!

I've also got a googlemap of the rough route which I sent to my travelling companions which I'll forward too.

Feel free to ask for more info.
Cheers Rich

walt

Am also thinking of a trip to NL later this year. Would anyone know whether you can simply disembark at IJmuiden (from Newcastle) and cycle directly away from the port - any restrictions?

Anyone done it? Thanks.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
walt said:
Would anyone know whether you can simply disembark at IJmuiden (from Newcastle) and cycle directly away from the port - any restrictions?

Anyone done it? Thanks.

No problem. You ride off the boat, go a couple of hundred yards down the quayside and turn left at the roundabout (if you turn right you go into the town of IJmuiden). That's it. On the left-hand side just before the roundabout there are a couple of very good fish shops/cafes/restaurants.

You can follow the route on Google Street View using this link.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
rich p said:
Putten
Tiel

If you're staying in Putten use the fietsnetwerk to plot a course over the Veluwe (in an arc going towards Apeldoorn and Arnhem) and through the woods to get to Tiel. You'll be riding on small paths, low/no-traffic roads. It might turn out a lot longer than 53km but if you have a good route it will be one of the best, if not the best, day's cycling.

Top Bottom