Netherlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Every city in NL is equally good for cycling, but some are more equal than others............. George Orwell .:rolleyes:
Asmterdam is actually one of the worst city's for cycling, of the large cities, Rotterdam is the best. (it was almost flattened during WO2, so roads are made mucht wider during the rebuild) But what really makes the difference that for example being able to travel from Den haag to Rotterdam mainly using dedicated cycle lanes(dedicated, only cycles and pedestrians allowed) if you look at most dutch roads cyclist are only sharing the road with cars in town centres beyond that cycle lanes become separated from the main road. Regarding to trucks and van's for the past 15-20 years they(the goverment, an dutch equivalent organisation like cycle uk) Have been advising cyclist to make eye contact with truckers and van drivers if you are next to it on a traffic light. most trucks have indications on their trailers to show where there blind spot is.

Sixmile

Veteran
I loved that in Holland, motorists got frustrated that you weren't taking priority crossing the roads. We were unsure at the start who had priority and often stopped to allow the car past but the car would stop and usher us across. Also, arriving at shops, restaurants and hotels only to find all the bike spaces gone, what a great problem to have!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I loved that in Holland, motorists got frustrated that you weren't taking priority crossing the roads. We were unsure at the start who had priority and often stopped to allow the car past but the car would stop and usher us across.
In theory, the person who has triangle markings across their route pointing at them should give way. In practice, it seems that almost all motorists will give way even without being required to now. I guess it avoids them peering at the markings at signs!

Also, arriving at shops, restaurants and hotels only to find all the bike spaces gone, what a great problem to have!
I think that's a big part of the reason why Dutch and Danish people often put the bike on its stand and just lock the back wheel to the frame - there's often nothing else to lock to where they won't be an obstruction.

Top Bottom