Network cabling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Want to change to a wired connection for my pc at home and want to add a network socket. Couple of quick questions.

1. I have cat6 cables galore, can I just cut the end off one and use that between the socket and hub or do I need to use the cable on a roll?

2. Is plugging it in and trying a lan speed test on my pc sufficient or do I need a network tester?

stephec

Legendary Member
I thought you'd just get a man in to do the job?

One of those working class costermonger types.

A cable is a cable is a cable, so any. If it works, it works, network testers are really for doing lots of cabling over a long length, they just tell you which strand isn't connected properly and at which end. Maybe the posh ones do speed and stuff but I've never used one of them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Floor boards and don't fancy pulling them up. Can run it behind skirting board.

Flat cable might help then. We have one that runs from the router to a switch in my son's room then another flat cable into my daughter's room. Her room is laminate so the cable runs under the edging strips.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Want to change to a wired connection for my pc at home and want to add a network socket. Couple of quick questions.

1. I have cat6 cables galore, can I just cut the end off one and use that between the socket and hub or do I need to use the cable on a roll?

2. Is plugging it in and trying a lan speed test on my pc sufficient or do I need a network tester?

It's Sunday morning man. This sounds like Thursday afternoon stuff.

I must admit to not bothering with cabling any more. Powerline adaptors work so well at home it's not worth the effort.

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Flat cable might help then. We have one that runs from the router to a switch in my son's room then another flat cable into my daughter's room. Her room is laminate so the cable runs under the edging strips.
It's not laminate but hard wood flooring with joists everywhere. It would require an awful lot of pulling up a drilling. Behind skirting board in this case is pretty easy.

Top Bottom