Network cabling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
The official line would be “no, you shouldn’t just chop the end off a patch cable then crimp the cable onto a socket plate”. I specify thousands of these every year, and if I found any of my subcontractors doing that, then they wouldn’t be my subcontractors any more....

The reason is that installation CAT6 cable is solid core, and patch cables are stranded. The crimp connectors on the faceplates are designed for solid core cable, not stranded. Terminating in this way does not meet the CAT6 spec.

Having said that, it’ll work perfectly well. If it’s just for your own house, go ahead!

Make sure you don’t “untwist” the cores too much - to stay within spec, you need to maintain the twists in the cable right up to the end.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The official line would be “no, you shouldn’t just chop the end off a patch cable then crimp the cable onto a socket plate”. I specify thousands of these every year, and if I found any of my subcontractors doing that, then they wouldn’t be my subcontractors any more....

The reason is that installation CAT6 cable is solid core, and patch cables are stranded. The crimp connectors on the faceplates are designed for solid core cable, not stranded. Terminating in this way does not meet the CAT6 spec.

Having said that, it’ll work perfectly well. If it’s just for your own house, go ahead!

Make sure you don’t “untwist” the cores too much - to stay within spec, you need to maintain the twists in the cable right up to the end.

But why bother, if you don't want to plug the cable into a socket just use a joiner. It won't be any worse than a hand made crimp.

Top Bottom