Never Had A C2W Voucher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Notaxincentiveshere.com

Just a thought!
Except as a self-employed worker, if you did buy a bike to cycle to work, you could claim it and well as any mileage. So there is a tax incentive, it just works a little differently

robgul

Legendary Member
Depending on the status of "self-employment" or small businesses there is a scheme called Green Commute Initiative that might work ... and their system allows bikes of infinite value (not the £1,000 limit on the other schemes)

The deal that the bike shop gets is better from GCI with the commission payable to the scheme being less than Cyclescheme (10%) and Halfords (a greedy 15%) - the downside is that you'll have to pay close to RRP for a bike on the scheme which may negate some of the tax saving.

Rob

Good morning,

Except as a self-employed worker, if you did buy a bike to cycle to work, you could claim it and well as any mileage. So there is a tax incentive, it just works a little differently

I am not certain but I think that you may be wrong. :-)

There are no mileage rates for bicycles if you use simplified expenses, https://www.gov.uk/simpler-income-tax-simplified-expenses/vehicles-

There is a Mileage Allowance Payment of 20p for employees using bicycles.

In the past this MAP rate was allowed as a concession by the Inland Revenue but was withdrawn when simplified expenses were introduced in 2013.

You may be able to claim capital allowances on the cost of the bike, and maintenance expenses but this would have to be apportioned with non business use.

Bye

Ian

D

Deleted member 26715

Self employed complaining they don’t get C2C is a bit rich when I see the creative tax planning they get up to.
My thoughts exactly if you can't buy a bike through the company get another accountant that can.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I used a bike and trailer to take parcels to our local post office. Got the trailer ( a large Columbus ) on the business but got no bike concession that I remember.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I'm going to get a t-shirt with 'I'm going to buy Di2 with my C2W voucher and I work from home' on it... :dance:

Jimidh

Veteran
Self employed complaining they don’t get C2C is a bit rich when I see the creative tax planning they get up to.

I’m a director of the company which I have a 50% share in. I have a very good accountant - you will not get me moaning about the lack of a C2W scheme.

Good evening,

I started being self employed in the late 1990s and have always played fair on the tax front.

I am also well aware of the stupid schemes set up and fallen for by people who had the intelligence to know better but the greed to get involved anyway.

There is another side to "its all a scam" though, I used to commute 127 miles each way on a daily basis for one job, just over a 100 miles each way to another.

As the government cracked down on fake self employment it created a culture where clients said it is easier and safer to make you an employee regardless.

As a self employed person travelling to a client's site the fuel and wear and tear on the car were allowable expenses, as an employee they are not.

If you are doing 50,000 plus miles a year and having to fund the fuel and vehicle maintenance costs out of salary you are going to say expletive deleted.

That sort of mileage trashes a car every year and as you are doing this sort of mileage you really don't want a car with a 1l engine that screams at you at 70mph on the motorway.

So I retired, "The Government" taxed working to such a high level that it wasn't worth doing any more!

Leaving home at 4am and getting back at 9pm is not an easy life.

Bye

Ian

pjd57

Veteran
I used to occasionally claim a few pounds at the 20p a mile rate for cycling between houses I was working at.
One or two managers huffed and tutted a bit , but quite happily signed off 40p a mile car claims.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I'm going to get a t-shirt with 'I'm going to buy Di2 with my C2W voucher and I work from home' on it... :dance:
I kid you not, my company closed it’s facility and most of us work from home now, but we still receive regular invites to participate in the company’s C2W scheme.

KneesUp

Guru
I’m self employed. I do my own tax and it’s all legitimate and honest. But thanks for assuming all self employed people are the same. Like you red light jumping, pavement riding cyclists ...

Top Bottom