never owned a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asboboy

in my 44 years of being on this planet ive never owned a brand new bike. Being the youngest of 7 boys was tough beatings were a daily occurance. Between 3 & 4 in a bed depending on how many of my older brothers had there girlfriends or mates staying no one was ever turned away.Dutch ovens in the morning was essential, and being the youngest saved me making the tea every morning. Ya don't want to no what Dutch ovens are believe me. Pmsl.. But the best way of escaping the chaos was to get out and find old bikes to drag home strip and build another death trap. Often with a bigger front wheel and stretched front folks, no brakes and if you were lucky a 3 speed internal geared hub.i even remember riding my first bike with out stabilisers, Mr hocker pushed me down the road on a bike with no seat and off i went i was 4. Many hours were spent looking for old bike frames and lots of fun time were had. But changed when started working at 14 didn't ride much never had the time. Now today i still haven't had a new bike. I brought my son an old Carrera hardtail banshee to play on but he never took interest in it, so it sat in the shed for a year with flat tires. Then i remembered it was there and draged it out stripped it completly of componants and old paint. Struggled to buy upgrade parts, wonders of ebay i managed to buy parts bit by bit. All XT couldnt afford sram, but still all nice parts spent hours and hours stripping the frame of paint and polishing the good grade alloy frame Ended up with a bike to be proud of it looked mint i never had a bike like it or have i seen another like it i painted some details on and put my nick name Asbo on the the cross tube in matte black. It was stunning. Then the council decided to move me the misses and two kids into a b&b after my mother died. Battled for succession rights but got nowhere. Treated like shoot and lied to by my local council put in a town miles from my own town, and kids school. Have to run 2 cars to get kids to school and misses to work. I wasn't goin to put my pride an joy in storage so i took it with us. Left it chained up in the hall way for one night and got a right mouthfull from the landlord in the morning. Had to chain it up to the steel fence outside. I wasn't happy to say the least. Then the inevidable happened,get up in the morning. No farking bike. Thieving Treackle towners even took the chain. If i find them who toom it i will do time with pleasure for chopping the bastards hands off. So now in stuck in a town i hate with no bike to get me out of the shoot hole we are in. If anyone has stayed awake long enough to get to the end of this would you please put the word out that in looking for parts to start another project. I cant pay much coz i got to set up home again soon.gone are the days of finding bits and bobs in the cannal and hedge rows. Thanks rant over.

uclown2002

Guru
Sorry, I didn't make it to the end.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think he has had a tough life, little cash and had his bike nicked?

OP - try Freecycle, or ask around your neighbours to see if anyone has a bike hiding in their shed that they'll part with?

pauldavid

Veteran
A sad story that starts with a young boys mind being fogged by the farts of his siblings but leads later in life to the mirror like polishing of a turd.

At this point while things are looking up the main character loses his home and in a final devastating blow his turd is burgled.

OP, hope your luck changes soon, freecycle is a good source of bikes that can be resurrected where we are. May be worth a look wherever you are?

OP
OP
A

asboboy

:angry::angry::angel:
try local free cycle or freegle group
i,ll do that thanks for your replies i,ll keep ya all posted on the new build. But i,ll keep it short an sweet next time. Oh because of money being tight would it be better to build a fixie with a flip flop hub it be a lot cheaper only i,m not the fittest of blokes and its quite hilly round these parts :angry:

Top Bottom