New 105 chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
I'm thinking of upgrading my chainset to Shimano 105 on my Boardman carbon road bike. It currently has an fsa gossamer. Would I also need to buy a new bottom bracket? If so which one would be best?

Thanks for any help

No you won't. Both crank spindles are 24mm in dia. There is a cautionary note though, if you are swapping out triple chainring cranks, make sure the tooth count on all the chainrings are the same. The Shimano FD is very fussy that way and won't tolerate a mix-and-match approach to sprocket sizing.

However, the upgrade is a waste of money and you will only fool yourself that the one is better than the other. Put the money in your pension fund.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
No you won't. Both crank spindles are 24mm in dia. There is a cautionary note though, if you are swapping out triple chainring cranks, make sure the tooth count on all the chainrings are the same. The Shimano FD is very fussy that way and won't tolerate a mix-and-match approach to sprocket sizing.

However, the upgrade is a waste of money and you will only fool yourself that the one is better than the other. Put the money in your pension fund.

Thanks for your help. I'm really only changing it as I had the large chaining replaced last year to a horrible cheap looking one. I'm really only doing it for the aesthetics and everything matches. I know it won't make too much difference performance wise!
Thanks again

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Agree with Yellow Saddle.
You won't notice any difference between the two chain sets. If the FSA is worn out then yes upgrade, but until then I would leave as is.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Thanks for your help. I'm really only changing it as I had the large chaining replaced last year to a horrible cheap looking one. I'm really only doing it for the aesthetics and everything matches. I know it won't make too much difference performance wise!
Thanks again
Performance, no gain as said. But if aesthetics matter then go for it.

Thanks again
Nothing wrong with acquiring purely for beauty. I married that way so can't criticize someone buying a mere crank for looks. It is infinitely cheaper than my choice.

uclown2002

Guru
Just to satisfy my curiosity, I thought the 105 was a HTII type bottom bracket and fsa gossamer a press fit BB? If so, wouldn't an adapter be needed?

adscrim

Veteran
Thanks just need to decide which colour to get, silver or black? I'm thinking black would look best
I suspect your Boardman has a GXP bottom bracket which I think uses an axle that steps down from 24mm at the drive side bearing surface to 22mm at the non-drive side. I could be wrong of course but best check before making a purchase.

I suspect your Boardman has a GXP bottom bracket which I think uses an axle that steps down from 24mm at the drive side bearing surface to 22mm at the non-drive side. I could be wrong of course but best check before making a purchase.
Nah! FSA doesn't use GXP, it is proprietary to SRAM and hopefully it never escapes quarantine and infest the world with its stupid patent-dodging design.

OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
I'm getting confused now! I'm going to buy one this weekend at cycle surgery and just get them to fix it. If I need a new BB then they can fix it too.

I'm getting confused now! I'm going to buy one this weekend at cycle surgery and just get them to fix it. If I need a new BB then they can fix it too.
You don't need a new crank. Go for a long ride this weekend and have a beer afterwards. You'll forget about the crank. It isn't about the bike.
Years ago I used to have a serious photography hobby. My friends and acquaintances used to come and show me their new cameras. I always told them that I'd prefer to see their photos. Nowadays I feel the same about bicycles. Don't show me your new crank, lets go for a ride instead.

Top Bottom