'New' 2nd hand road bike with SPD pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

007fair

Hi all I have a new road bike - first for 20 years - which I bought second hand. It has SPD pedals and so I need shoes to match

I am not going to race/compete so comfort is the main priority
I hear MTB SPD shoes are more comfortable and can be walked in.

Are these what I should go for then and if so any recommendations on what make and where to buy cheaply?

Oh and I need a helmet. Are there big dfferences in types and styles (and prices!) As with above any recommendation would be great :biggrin:

Thank You!

For my commuter I've just got a cheap pair out mtb shoes out of Lidl (for £20ish) they do the job. I also an older pair of Spesh Tahos which are a good shoe but for the winter road bike I went with spesh mtb sport which are a bit stiffered soled and almost as light as a roadbike shoe.

There'll be a great helmet debate again with that last sentence :biggrin::biggrin: but if you decide you need one you are usually paying for weight venting the best thing I think is to compromise on these and get a good fit. I like Bell helmets as they are very adjustable to get a good fit but everybodies head is slightly different and it may or may not be ideal for you.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
007fair said:
Lidl do spd shoes amazing! :laugh:

Unfortunately not all the time but the do have the special offers from time to time, and you can get some real bargains.

As for a helmet, they are just a waste of money, unless you like fashion accessories... If you don't feel safe on the road get some training, a far better investment.

Ok that probably sounds a wee bit provocative, so here are a couple of more neutral summery of the "helmet debate":
1) from another cycling forum
2) Whycycle

Blue touch paper lit, time to stand back...

gavintc

Guru
Hairy Jock said:
As for a helmet, they are just a waste of money, unless you like fashion accessories... If you don't feel safe on the road get some training, a far better investment.

Blue touch paper lit, time to stand back...

I suspect you are trying to be controversial.

Helmets as Hairy Jock has stated are not an 'easy' subject. Make your own mind up on them. Personally, I wear one, and am glad to have been wearing one about 3 yrs ago when I hit some diesel on the road and then hit my head with some force on the kerb stone.

OP
OP
007fair

007fair

Thanks for the advice I'll keep an eye out for the Lidl cycle stock

As for helmets - maybe this should have been a new thread !

I have been cycling all my life with out a helmet and I can't remember ever being in danger apart from when i was young and came off a borrowed chopper! From the Hirsute Scotsman's links it seem you have protection from a nearly stationary fall onto a kerb or wall etc but nothing else Hmm food for thought I would much rather feel the wind

Its hard though to force the kids to wear helmets if you don't ! If we have a family bike ride on a cycle path or track then we relent and let them ride helmet less. But the wife does get stressed over it and so do the kids because they would rather walk than wear a helmet

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
gavintc said:
I suspect you are trying to be controversial.

Controversial? Me:ohmy: :evil:

007fair said:
Thanks for the advice I'll keep an eye out for the Lidl cycle stock

As for helmets - maybe this should have been a new thread !

I have been cycling all my life with out a helmet and I can't remember ever being in danger apart from when i was young and came off a borrowed chopper! From the Hirsute Scotsman's links it seem you have protection from a nearly stationary fall onto a kerb or wall etc but nothing else Hmm food for thought I would much rather feel the wind

Its hard though to force the kids to wear helmets if you don't ! If we have a family bike ride on a cycle path or track then we relent and let them ride helmet less. But the wife does get stressed over it and so do the kids because they would rather walk than wear a helmet

To be honest I think we have had enough helmet threads, they have a tendency to get long and fractious.

Personally my major objection to cycle helmets is that they put people off cycling and are a barrier to cycling become main stream in this country. The only people who really benefit from helmets are the manufactures and retailers. Most people over the age of 20 grew up cycling without them, I often wonder why children suddenly became so fragile.

Top Bottom