New alternative Trangia fuel 'Greenheat'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tamsinodile

Thanks Brock! As Andy seems to think you're the font of all knowledge, I'll ask another! I really don't get the difference between the Trangia gas burner add-on, and the multifuel add-on. Is it that the gas one accepts the small blue campingaz type cannisters only, but the multifuel one comes with a cannister that you can pretty much fill with anything? Thanks again!

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

hehe....
Yeah I think you're right Tamsin.. the gas one is for gas cannisters, and the multifuel has a bottle into which you can chuck parafin, petrol, kerosene or chicken soup, pump it up a bit and away you go.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

That looks nice, something soothing about burning bits of wood. I do like pretending to be Ray Mears when camping :smile:

willem

Über Member
As for Trangia fuel. There was a test recently on Backpackinglight.com of various alcohol types. The brief conclusion was to get high grade (denatured) ethanol (95%) if you can. Methanol is much slower, and poisonous.
Willem

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Tamsinodile said:
Hi, can any of you tell me where I can buy the Greenfuel for my Trangia? After seeing your post Brock, I thought I'd try some out, but have scoured the net and can't find a stockist! Where did you get yours from?
Looks like they've gone bust - they don't have their domain registered any more.
The South African side of things may still be going OK.

There seems to be plenty of the gel sachets still around, but for the Trangia cans this is all I found without looking too hard:
http://www.campingstoves-uk.com/greenheat-gel-cell-69-p.asp

Willem:
What's called "meths" in the UK is about 90% ethanol, 10% methanol

I sat next to a bloke on a flight once who is good mates with Ray Mears.

He said that when Big Ray is back in town, he spends a lot of his time in McDonalds and Burger King! :smile:

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

Dayvo said:
I sat next to a bloke on a flight once who is good mates with Ray Mears.

He said that when Big Ray is back in town, he spends a lot of his time in McDonalds and Burger King! :wacko:

yeah well.. that'll be because Mcdonalds straws make excellent wicker snow shoes. Don't diss Mears, he's fat because he can bring down a caribou with a cleverly whittled curlew leg without even thinking about it.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

ASC1951 said:
Then you are Bear Grylls and I claim my £5!!

Actually, BG doesn't even camp: he gets helicoptered back to his hotel in between shots.

Bear Grylls isn't fit to wipe the fried yak fillet grease from Mears' chin.

Top Bottom