New arrival: Moulton Midi from 1973

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This afternoon I bid and bought this via eBay. A 1973 Moulton Midi that appears to have had the rear luggage carrier chopped off. At the time I wasn't sure what the bike was, but guessed a Moulton of some sort, given the lack of description. Sold on Retrobike in 2012 it has apparently been sat unused since then!

The seller kindly dropped the bike off this evening. 14" wheels of littleness:

s-l1600.jpg

Plans? Possibly turn it into a second holiday-camp bike to go alongside my son's single-speed MTB we used last summer. It'd need a front basket though. Front wheel needs re-greasing and the gear cable looks to be an original from the 1960's.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I won't ask how many bikes are in your household. I only just got away with one full suspension MTB that I hid from the missus for a year.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I won't ask how many bikes are in your household. I only just got away with one full suspension MTB that I hid from the missus for a year.

Given I sold an MTB today that's 13 for me, 7 for my son plus 1 each for my wife and eldest son. However I'm about to have a sale of retro and other bikes.

[QUOTE 5194249, member: 45"]If you need any spares I don't think I'm going to get around to doing anything with the one I have in the shed.

Did yours have the bracing fitted?[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Bracing? Until about 10 minutes ago I hadn't a clue what it was :blink:

I'm presuming there's no bracing having Google'd what it was.

The tyres look a bit worn and the front wheel sticks, as does the gear cable. The original advert from 2012 refers to headset cups as well. At present I've not a clue what's needed tbh

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

[QUOTE 5194277, member: 45"]Yeah, some of the frames snapped so the solution was to bolt a big chunk of metal around the suspect joint.[/QUOTE]

Definately no bracing. Therefore the bunny hops we were doing earlier on it were probably not a good idea :eek:

The basic aspect here is to make the Moulton more usable. New tyres and a gear cable's probably all that's needed. We've a pink basket for the front and unless the aim is to spray the whole thing pink I won't do much else. A pink bike was suggested though ...

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Isn't that what is sometimes referred to as a "Raleigh Moulton" where the bikes were built at the Raleigh factory from the late 1960's and they went for solid front forks to make them cheaper to build? I rode a single speed one of those once and it was a pretty strange experience for someone accustomed to 26" wheel bikes!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Isn't that what is sometimes referred to as a "Raleigh Moulton" where the bikes were built at the Raleigh factory from the late 1960's and they went for solid front forks to make them cheaper to build? I rode a single speed one of those once and it was a pretty strange experience for someone accustomed to 26" wheel bikes!

That's the one. It's a toned-down Moulton Mini but the one I bought has 3-speed Sturmey Archer.

Top Bottom