New arrival: Raleigh Medale 1979

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The expander is loose but stem very stuck. I have tried penetrating oil and rust remover so far. Will try lemon/lime juice next and see how that goes. Also struggling to get good leverage on the stem without bending the forks.
I tried penetrating oil, caustic soda, lemon juice . You will need to seal the bolt head end , I used a bit of old inner tube to make a washer. Bolt it back together and leave it to soak for a while upside down . When you see the level of liquid drop but not leak past the bolt head is a pretty good sign as it means that it is getting past the corrosion seal . Mine wouldn't even shift after a couple of days of lemon soaking . The level had dropped but it still wouldn't budge when clouted . I finally put a butane torch up inside the fork and heated it up . When I could feel the heat when holding the steerer tube of the frame I poured cold water inside hoping the shock would separate things . It worked ! After 2 hits the expander moved. I then put a bar through the stem and a large piece of wood between the forks and twisted.
Good luck !

bobbybox

Hi. I have a 1982 Medale that's been dry-stored since about 1985 which I bought new. The tyres have long since perished but I've re-discovered cycling after a recent holiday and I'd welcome advice on the best approach to get this roadworthy again. I'm ok with spanners etc and there's zero rust fortunately. It's the 10 speed version 27" x 1 1/4" tyres and standard brakes (weinmann I think). I assume it's best to replace brake cables, blocks and tyres... but I'm unsure on specs or where to source from. Any advice much appreciated! Cheers

Hi. I have a 1982 Medale that's been dry-stored since about 1985 which I bought new. The tyres have long since perished but I've re-discovered cycling after a recent holiday and I'd welcome advice on the best approach to get this roadworthy again. I'm ok with spanners etc and there's zero rust fortunately. It's the 10 speed version 27" x 1 1/4" tyres and standard brakes (weinmann I think). I assume it's best to replace brake cables, blocks and tyres... but I'm unsure on specs or where to source from. Any advice much appreciated! Cheers
Hi and :welcome:.
How do the brake cables look ? The ones on my 1971 Holdsworth looked fine the last time I used it a couple of years ago . The grease might have dried out in the hub, bottom bracket and head bearings So they may need re greasing . You can find some bits on the net or you could try your local bike shop .

Gunk

Guru
They’re very easy to completely dismantle, service and build back up again, you’ll end up with a bike that’s like new. I would replace all the bearings, inner and outer cables, tyres and tubes.

bobbybox

Thanks for the responses (and welcome!).

So... everything on the Medale 10 is original. Nothing has ever been changed. It had done 680 miles (according to the attached speedo I fitted from new) before I put it away 35 years ago. It's been in my dry-lined cellar in the dark and approx 16 celsius throughout. The only rust I can see is on the surface of one of the pedal spindles only. I've checked all cables and they are (visually) as new. The brakes need a strip down and clean and I'll replace the blocks. One pedal spins freely the other probably needs some lubrication. It's not seized but doesn't rotate more than about a half turn when I spin it. The derailleur is in need of some oil but otherwise works as new and I remember how to adjust this if needed.

Questions then please...

1. What is the best lubricant to use?
2. Any tyre / tube (brand / model) recommendations please? (27" x 1 1/4") Also, any good sources for these?
3. I'm around 110kg these days (sadly). Will the Weinmann brakes need upgrading? I was probably around 75Kg when the bike was new (hmm...)
4. @Gunk you mentioned bearings. Apologies as I'm new to refurbishing. Can you confirm which / where the bearings are to be replaced please?

thanks again

Gunk

Guru
4. @Gunk you mentioned bearings. Apologies as I'm new to refurbishing. Can you confirm which / where the bearings are to be replaced please?

Although probably not worn, they will have certainly all dried out. So I would clean and regrease the headset, bottom bracket and wheel bearings.

Top Bottom