new back wheel time ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi All,

It looks like its new back wheel time after all the recent troubles.

I am after a decent strong 32h rim don't care about weight its on my bad boy which I commute on and a good disk hub something better than the deore hub I was using before.

My current setup was a Mavic Open pro 32h with a deore disk hub.

I don't want to spend the earth but want something that will be reliable unlike the current wheel.

I will probably have it built up but am open to suggestions.

Thanks all.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hmmmm seems like that wheel has been causing a lot of problems for some time now. I hope a new one proves to be more reliable! I'm sure someone will be along soon with recommendations as I'm not sure of what to advise. Mavic components don't seem to be as good - there have been a few issues re wheelsets - though I've not had experience of them.

PS have you had a spin on the road bike? Maybe see you on a Sunday ride

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
if it's for commuting I'd have a look at what Spa Cycles can bung into a Sputnik rim for you, this is like a heavier stronger version of the Mavic A719, does mean 28mm tyres upwards. If you want to stay around OP rim size then they do the Chrisna rim.

For example Sputnik/Deore Disk 36H only £85 for wheel including rim tape and QR skewer.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
ttcycle said:
Hmmmm seems like that wheel has been causing a lot of problems for some time now. I hope a new one proves to be more reliable! I'm sure someone will be along soon with recommendations as I'm not sure of what to advise. Mavic components don't seem to be as good - there have been a few issues re wheelsets - though I've not had experience of them.

PS have you had a spin on the road bike? Maybe see you on a Sunday ride

Hi tt, Ive been really struggling all week, and finally on Friday when spinning the back wheel I noticed it was literally stopping after a few revolutions :biggrin:. One of the locknut's was really loose and when holding each end of the axle it would not even turn in my hands.

I'm really open to suggestions with this as I cant be going through all these problems again :angry:.

P.S. now the bad boy is out of action the road bike might come out the shed but ill probably run my commute next week as Ive got a 10k coming up. I'm def up for a Sunday ride things have been a little hectic of late health wise etc, so wont commit to anything to soon.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
bad boy said:
P.S. now the bad boy is out of action the road bike might come out the shed but ill probably run my commute next week as Ive got a 10k coming up. I'm def up for a Sunday ride things have been a little hectic of late health wise etc, so wont commit to anything to soon.

I'm in the same boat mate - don't worry about that and hope things get better.

First get that pesky wheel sorted out - it's been causing you grief since nearly day one on this forum!

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
ttcycle said:
I'm in the same boat mate - don't worry about that and hope things get better.

First get that pesky wheel sorted out - it's been causing you grief since nearly day one on this forum!

LOL - Yes ok i can imagine my rear wheel troubles must be getting boring now well hopefully with the kind advice of people on here I can get a decent replacement that will serve me well !?.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
No, it's been interesting to read and watch it unfold..though you seem to have tried everything..flogging the dead donkey/dead wheel. Hope the CC bunch can point you in the right direction and if all else fails...they can be blamed!! LOL

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
MacB said:
if it's for commuting I'd have a look at what Spa Cycles can bung into a Sputnik rim for you, this is like a heavier stronger version of the Mavic A719, does mean 28mm tyres upwards. If you want to stay around OP rim size then they do the Chrisna rim.

For example Sputnik/Deore Disk 36H only £85 for wheel including rim tape and QR skewer.

Thanks Mac I would prefer to stay with 25mm tryes but the Charina looks a good bet, Ill look into that thanks.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
ttcycle said:
No, it's been interesting to read and watch it unfold..though you seem to have tried everything..flogging the dead donkey/dead wheel. Hope the CC bunch can point you in the right direction and if all else fails...they can be blamed!! LOL

Im glad its been interesting for you !!, Im pulling my hair out :ohmy:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
bad boy said:
Hi tt, Ive been really struggling all week, and finally on Friday when spinning the back wheel I noticed it was literally stopping after a few revolutions :ohmy:. One of the locknut's was really loose and when holding each end of the axle it would not even turn in my hands.
If the right hand locknut is loose, the right hand cone will screw itself into the bearings and can do a good job of locking the wheel up.
I'd suggest taking the axle out and checking the bearings, cones and cups. If they are OK, get the RH cone and locknut nipped up properly tight before putting the axle back in (preferably with new balls), and carry out all adjustments at the other end.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
andrew_s said:
If the right hand locknut is loose, the right hand cone will screw itself into the bearings and can do a good job of locking the wheel up.
I'd suggest taking the axle out and checking the bearings, cones and cups. If they are OK, get the RH cone and locknut nipped up properly tight before putting the axle back in (preferably with new balls), and carry out all adjustments at the other end.

That was spot on Andrew it was exactly that !.

The problem is the locknut's keep coming loose, ive had the hub overhauled a short while ago and new locknut's etc to try and sort it but no joy.

Im at the point of no return Im getting a new wheel its driving me mad

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
As an update, wheel went to the shop today and the mech stripped the hub and literally poured the crap out of it. The bearing on the cassette side were slightly rusted and the cone looked slightly pitted the other side was fine.

Question is shall I repair or be shot and get a new wheel bearing in mind all the problems Ive had with it ??.

I reckon ill go for a hand built Mavic cxp33 32h with Dt spokes and an XT disk hub.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
If the cone is pitted you'll want a new hub.

If you want a new hub you'll need a rebuild.

If you're having a rebuild you might as well get a new rim at the same time.

I thought cones can be replaced or so the shop said and the track inside the hub body was ok just the bearings and cone.

But I am proably going to get a new wheel anyway.

Top Bottom