'New' bash hat - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Curious about this. Is it because it might get knocked off and land on the floor? I ask this because from where I sit I can see my bike hat on the other side of the dining table.
Essentially yes, tho at home with your luxurious shagpile you,'d probably be OK. Otherwise, pubs etc i use the floor for peace of mind.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
From a slightly different perspective, if you like to keep up with the trends in bash hat design and you buy what you believe / or are told is the 'latest fashion' only to find it was made two and a half years previously and been sitting in a warehouse since then - ! :rofl:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Know of the superstition about never putting boots on a table and why, but not heard of the hat one; please explain - ! :smile:
Fifteen year hex... or death.

View: https://youtu.be/UIyhZcGuQKs

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I suspect the plastic might deteriorate in UV light. So long as it's been kept in a dark storeroom or at least out of direct sunlight then it should be fine.
/\ This. It’s the same reason that site hard hats should be exchanged regularly. Sunlight affects the plastic rendering it brittle.

Never put one on a table etc.

It's a superstition:
There is a superstition associated with hats saying that a hat left on a bed or a table brings bad luck. ... One possible explanation for these superstitions is that they were created when lice were more prevalent. Keeping hats off tables and beds was a way of preventing lice from spreading.
I thought it was shoes ? Although both make some kind of sense.

DRM

Guru
Never put one on a table etc.

It's a superstition:
There is a superstition associated with hats saying that a hat left on a bed or a table brings bad luck. ... One possible explanation for these superstitions is that they were created when lice were more prevalent. Keeping hats off tables and beds was a way of preventing lice from spreading.
Tosh with regard to cycling helmets, if it’s on a table and falls off it could be damaged, if you put on the floor it can’t fall any further preventing it getting damaged, .....unless you forget it‘s there and stand on it,or fall over the thing.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
did you read the rest of the paragrpah you quoted??
Oops - ! Doh - !
So this may have kept headlice off the tablecloth / bed, but what about bodylice that were apparently common at the time as well - ? :wacko: Seems a bit of a pointless 'tradition' about hats eh - ? :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
My late mother in law was full of superstitions. I asked my wife, and hats on the bed and shoes on the table were part of her repertoire. But not hats on the table.
It's a sign that you'll be leaving soon. If you've just got there, it can be seen as disrespectful, especially if a meal is involved.

Top Bottom