New BBQ wanted. Any thoughts/suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The present one is gas with 2 burners. Its old now and showing its age. The heat is very uneven (tbh although it wasn't cheap its never been good).
Its not used too often and mainly for the 2 of us.....although yesterday there were 5.
So.........
Do I get another gas one or go back to charcoal.
I am not on a budget but won't spend stupid money on gadgetry.
Any suggestions ?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just my opinion, but I think gas ones are very expensive for what you get. And part of a BBQ experience for me is the smokey flavour and the whole process of lighting it up etc. We use instant light bags which work out at about £1.80 per burn. Plus with a half decent BBQ there is nothing to go wrong except maybe some body work 5 years down the line!

My Dad has a gas BBQ and the grill is tiny. You can only ever have it on the lowest setting else it burns stuff. You can't adjust the height of the grill. It's heavy to get out and move around. Like you say, there are also cooler patches on it so that reduces the grill area even more. As there's no bbq smell/flavour, I often think it's just the same as using the oven grill, it would be easier.

Charcoal all the way for me

Mr Celine

Discordian
I've not even got the barbecue out of the shed this year as all the outdoor cooking is done on wood in a chimnea.
This is far quicker to light and reach cooking temperature than a charcoal barbecue, can cook much thicker cuts and doubles up as a patio heater.
However it does take a lot of practice to know exactly when it will be ready for cooking and once it is ready it is only good for 10 minutes at the most.
Chicken quarters are fully cooked in 5 mins.
The smokey flavour is even better than with charcoal and varies with the type of wood, adding a whole new dimension to outdoor cooking.

I don't see the point of gas barbecues.

si_c

Guru
We got a charcoal BBQ from Argos, ~£100 including a smoker. Cooks really well and has an adjustable height coal bed which makes it really easy to not just cremate everything.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been using a small cast iron charcoal BBQ for years. It's enough for 4 and I cooked for 15 on it recently. As said above, the instant lighting bags are really handy for 4. Gas seems too expensive for the amount we'd use it, and also storage is an issue. The cast iron one sits on a shelf on the potting table in the greenhouse when not in use.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I was a charcoal fan until a couple of years ago when I was without a kitchen whilst some building work was done. My wife said it's be a good idea to get a gas BBQ, so off I went onto Ebay and lo and behold there was one close by with a closing time a couple of hours away. This was God's way of telling me to buy it, so I bid on it (£103) and won. Got it home and a little fettling and cleaning and it was great, been using it regularly ever since. I don't think I've cooked indoors for six weeks or so now. It has three burners, one under a cooking plate. I even cook breakfast on it, there's no way I'd light up a charcoal BBQ just for me.
The burner stays outside (covered) all the time but I do put the gas bottle in the garage, although I did get it out last New Year's Day.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
That looks really good. How much the standard (premier air) size one fit on it - is it a grill size of a foot diameter?
and what of the multiple accessories you can add to it like roasting dishes / frying pans do you actually use?
It's 12" diameter cook surface.
I use the standard plate, roasting-rack and Griddle plus. Then I have 2 Dome extensions and roasters for doing chickens standing up.
I have the wok thingy aand the BBQ plate but don't use them much.
With a few tweaks any suitable pot or pan can be used with it.
The kettle makes a good starter chimney and any Charcoal can be made to work.

Getting the rotisserie next!

Do whole chooks, double beef ribs, hams, lamb legs, +/- smoke, Fritattas. Low and slow is possible. You can do potatoes and veg in the moat - automatic basting! Great on campsites as it creates very little smoke. Get a large plastic trugg to cart it around and bobsherunkle :-0

PK99

Legendary Member
I've got one of these.

https://www.outdoorchefuk.co.uk/sho...oorchef-18-128-00-montreux-570g-chef-edition/

1626795728489.png

Fantastic piece of kit:
Direct heat BBQ
Indirect heat BBQ
Low'n'Slow with or without smoke unit
Cast iron Griddle plate
Pizza
Bread
Paella
Lamb/chicken Boulangere in Paella pan
Temp controllable 200F to 700F

EDIT
PS I've also got a Weber Charcoal Kettle and Weber Smokey mountain upright smoker, but these never get used, the gas Outdoor chef outperforms them both,

Last edited:

Faratid

Cook it indoors, then eat it in the garden and enjoy the fresh air, along with your neighbours.
We are currently experiencing a climate change extreme weather event, along with NW America, Australia, and NW Europe, especially Germany.
And yet we still want more stuff, especially gas & charcoal powered.
Will we ever get it??

Tom...

Veteran
Cook it indoors, then eat it in the garden and enjoy the fresh air, along with your neighbours.
We are currently experiencing a climate change extreme weather event, along with NW America, Australia, and NW Europe, especially Germany.
And yet we still want more stuff, especially gas & charcoal powered.
Will we ever get it??

Presumably your indoor appliances run off a self-sufficient source of green energy?

Top Bottom