New BBQ wanted. Any thoughts/suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Broadside

Guru
Weber kettle for me too, they are brilliant. Or anything with a lid so you can cook food properly avoiding burnt outside raw inside.

Though convenient I tend to avoid the instant light bags of charcoal as they are coated in accelerant which taints the flavour.

A big revelation for me was using a chimney starter, makes lighting briquettes a doddle and gets the whole thing up to a great cooking temperature very quickly, the briquettes last ages so you can slow cook meat over a few hours.

Last edited:

Cirrus

Veteran
Weber kettle. Brilliant bbqs, well made and loads of accessories.
This...
The one I have is about 10 years old and has been in the garden in all weathers for a fair amount of that time. It still looks pretty much as new, and now I know how to actually use it (indirect cooking etc) it produces some great grub

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cook it indoors, then eat it in the garden and enjoy the fresh air, along with your neighbours.
We are currently experiencing a climate change extreme weather event, along with NW America, Australia, and NW Europe, especially Germany.
And yet we still want more stuff, especially gas & charcoal powered.
Will we ever get it??
One of the key 'likes' for me about the Cobb is that it was designed in SA to be super efficient and is very clean burning, so 8 Briquettes will cook a whole Chicken and pudding after! As the fat doesn't drip onto the coals there is none of that nasty smokiness either...it's the future!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I use a plancha grill, rather than a bbq these days…..easy to keep clean, cooks everything. Also added a deep fat fryer for chips, onions rings, garlic mushrooms et etc etc

carpiste

Guru
I read somewhere earlier today, don`t ask me where, a report that there is a major shortage of BBQ gas clinders due to a lack of drivers/covid!
I use a cheap and cheerful Aldi or Lidl fire pit with a grill over it. I only use well dried wood and it`s great ^_^
I had some builders over in France a few years ago and after a few days of feeding them they said they would do us a BBQ as we had looked after them. We didn`t have a BBQ at the time but they said not to worry.
The following day they turned upand at lunchtime they dug a hole in an area of the garden that was full of rubble and waiting to be sorted. They lit a fire in it, threw over some doubled up chicken wire and made us the best BBQ ever! 🔥^_^

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's 12" diameter cook surface.
I use the standard plate, roasting-rack and Griddle plus. Then I have 2 Dome extensions and roasters for doing chickens standing up.
I have the wok thingy aand the BBQ plate but don't use them much.
With a few tweaks any suitable pot or pan can be used with it.
The kettle makes a good starter chimney and any Charcoal can be made to work.

Getting the rotisserie next!

Do whole chooks, double beef ribs, hams, lamb legs, +/- smoke, Fritattas. Low and slow is possible. You can do potatoes and veg in the moat - automatic basting! Great on campsites as it creates very little smoke. Get a large plastic trugg to cart it around and bobsherunkle :-0
I'm sold.

Going to order one for my B'day present.:okay::okay: going Premier Air with a roasting rack (and potentially griddle) and carry bag set.
@Fab Foodie is the griddle much (£40) better than the standard grill plate for burgers and steaks etc?
The bag looks very neat, but I'm also thinking it will all fit in an Aldi bag for life for transporting/ storage

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Charcoal every time here.

Gas is just not proper imo - may as well sling the fodder in the oven.

Gillstay

Über Member
Presumably your indoor appliances run off a self-sufficient source of green energy?
I get his point, as he only has one cooker not a spare one and his gas or electric may well be much better than where the charcoal came from. Last time i looked on a bag at a friends house it came from Namibia ! Not close or famend for its forest cover and lousy charcoal as not as dense as UK stuff.

Tom...

Veteran
I get his point, as he only has one cooker not a spare one and his gas or electric may well be much better than where the charcoal came from. Last time i looked on a bag at a friends house it came from Namibia ! Not close or famend for its forest cover and lousy charcoal as not as dense as UK stuff.

But what if his indoor appliances are running off electricity produced by a coal-fired power station?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm sold.

Going to order one for my B'day present.:okay::okay: going Premier Air with a roasting rack (and potentially griddle) and carry bag set.
@Fab Foodie is the griddle much (£40) better than the standard grill plate for burgers and steaks etc?
The bag looks very neat, but I'm also thinking it will all fit in an Aldi bag for life for transporting/ storage
Brilliant - I think you'll love it!
I think the griddle plate is worth having for sure, it's my goto for burgers to Ribs of beef.
Std Plate with roasting rack does eveything else and allows you to put a pan or pot (casseroles etc) on as well or baking trays for Cakes etc.
Don't bother with the bags, every one I have had the zip has gone after a few uses, I even got new ones from Cobb as replacements and they did the same. I just use and carry mine about in a plastic builders trugg, but an Aldi bag will work fine for transportation.

fb groups are great for help and inspiration!

Gillstay

Über Member
But what if his indoor appliances are running off electricity produced by a coal-fired power station?
The same still applies, he only has one appliance and its not being sipped from the other side of the world. Besides that what if its coming from wind energy ? How would you ever know ?

Tom...

Veteran
The same still applies, he only has one appliance and its not being sipped from the other side of the world. Besides that what if its coming from wind energy ? How would you ever know ?

You don't, which is the point I was making.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Brilliant - I think you'll love it!
I think the griddle plate is worth having for sure, it's my goto for burgers to Ribs of beef.
Std Plate with roasting rack does eveything else and allows you to put a pan or pot (casseroles etc) on as well or baking trays for Cakes etc.
Don't bother with the bags, every one I have had the zip has gone after a few uses, I even got new ones from Cobb as replacements and they did the same. I just use and carry mine about in a plastic builders trugg, but an Aldi bag will work fine for transportation.

fb groups are great for help and inspiration!
Loving it. I did actually get a bag as it was virtually free with their bundle pricing. Zip is OK so far 😉

Attachments

• 210906_184928_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    210906_184928_COLLAGE-1.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom