New BBQ wanted. Any thoughts/suggestions.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
Excellent! I was wondering how you were getting-on…have you joined or seen the fb groups?
I had a quick look and will browse more at my leisure, I'm impressed with the controllability and the fact it doesn't burn the shite out of stuff when you turn your back for a second, which is what sent me from coal BBQs to gas many years ago and the fact you can cook a load of stuff with 6-8 briquettes and it is portable for holidays etc - I am not a camper (life's to short to not sleep in a bed :laugh:) but I can see how it would be amazing for that as you can effectively oven cook outside.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I had a quick look and will browse more at my leisure, I'm impressed with the controllability and the fact it doesn't burn the shite out of stuff when you turn your back for a second, which is what sent me from coal BBQs to gas many years ago and the fact you can cook a load of stuff with 6-8 briquettes and it is portable for holidays etc - I am not a camper (life's to short to not sleep in a bed :laugh:) but I can see how it would be amazing for that as you can effectively oven cook outside.
Yep all the reasons we love it! We keep and use ours in a big builders trugg that acts also as a windshield when using. I like that you can do whole joints (with woodsmoke if required), as well as low and slow all as you say without burning. Most of all when on a campsite almost no smoke...just a nice cooking smell :-)
Also you can bung a pan in there to have al-fresco stews/traybakes etc, so very versatile. The perfect outdoor companion and easy on the briquettes too!
...am tempted to buy the rotisserie....

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I know this thread is just about done, but I bought a half-barrell BBQ in B&M last week, reduced to £30. it's 1 metre long by about 50cms wide. Good quality grill. The best thing is that I only put one bag of charcoal on it, leaving the other 1/3 empty. So you can move cooked things to the cooler end. I also put a couple of 2x4s underneath the barrell (on the leg supports) which made a very handy warming tray. Best BBQ I've had in a while, but yes you do need to keep an eye on it because there's no height adjustment, but it was just what I wanted ^_^

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve jumped between both over the years, currently on gas. I think though I’m going to buy a chargrill pan/tray to put in and cook my food on it .

keithmac

Guru
I got fed up of ours eventually going rusty (stored under a cover outside).

Ended up buying a full stainless steel one from Germany a long while back, still good as new!.

Teaching my lad the intricacies of BBQ cooking, he's a quick learner.

Lumpwood charcoal for us, tried the chimney starters but not really a fan.

As for Gas BBQs, you might as well just cook it in the oven imho..

20200508_170212.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I bought one of these when the price was right on Ebay...

outsunny-portable-charcoal-barbecue.jpg

The price fluctuated between £40 and £55 throughout summer and come the end of August, it dropped to £32 so I snapped one up.

It's not the biggest BBQ; about the size of two disposables, so good for 4-6 peeps... and it is a cheap looking build with flimsy-ish grills (they could be worse)... but that second higher grill is perfect for juggling meat on and off the coals so one can barbecue without burning everything... and the second best thing... it fits on my pannier rack! :okay:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I bought one of these when the price was right on Ebay...

View attachment 610540

The price fluctuated between £40 and £55 throughout summer and come the end of August, it dropped to £32 so I snapped one up.

It's not the biggest BBQ; about the size of two disposables, so good for 4-6 peeps... and it is a cheap looking build with flimsy-ish grills (they could be worse)... but that second higher grill is perfect for juggling meat on and off the coals so one can barbecue without burning everything... and the second best thing... it fits on my pannier rack! :okay:
They were £17.99 for a short period in August!

Top Bottom