New Bianchi build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Jhnbssl, I just ordered the same frame and was hoping you could provide some insight. I am told that I will also not receive frame accoutrements.

Are the cable fittings you used a standard DI2 fitting? I am mechanical cable guy and am looking for suggestions on where to buy tbe fittings. Also do your cables rattle in the frame? Have you put in any cable liner to deaden sound?

What size is tbe seatpost and what is the headset, a ZS 44/56?

Thanks!

@EvanAL Assuming yours is the same frameset as mine and is coming with no fittings at all as mine did you'll need to source:

- Correct rear thru axle - I used a Shimano E-Thru axle like this one. The nut on the end is castlated, you screw a bolt in from the rear of the drop out through the threaded hole in the frame to lock it in position once you've got it adjusted.

- Rear mech hanger - I bought one from SOS Hangers, where you'll need a D560 Bianchi derailleur hanger

- Metal screw-in cable inserts - These are Bianchi only parts, they'll need to come from Bianchi UK or a dealer. I walked in to my local dealer and rummaged through their spares and found all the bits I needed. There are different inserts for mechanical and di2 setups but as far as I can tell they're the same between different Bianchi framesets - at least the ones I've fitted to the Methanol are the same as the ones I had in my Oltre XR3 :okay:

I put a few cable ties on the Di2 cables to stop them bouncing around inside the frame. I didn't put anything on the hydraulic hoses and they seem fine :okay:

The seatpost is 31.6mm on this one

The headset I used is an FSA Orbit tapered, 1-1/8" to 1.5", like this one

Hope thats useful, let me know if you've got any other questions :okay: It's a beautiful bike to ride, good choice :becool:

EvanAL

Regular
@JhnBssll, incredibally helpful! I am looking forward to it. I bought the older stock frame because I prefer the 27.5 to 29. I am here in the states where Bianchiusa is scratching their heads over the cable guide fittings. Could you recommend the shop you found your fittings at so that I can get in touch with them? Thanks again.

-Evan

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
@EvanAL I dont think my local dealer would be able to help much - he showed me a big box full of Bianchi bits and I sorted through it myself. He didnt charge me for the bits I needed so will have no idea what I took unfortunately. If I were you I would ask BianchiUSA for a set of frame inserts for a current frameset - I would be surprised if it didnt contain the bits you need. The inserts on my 2019 Oltre XR3 disc are identical to the ones I've fitted to the Methanol :okay: Alternatively visit your local dealer with the frame and search through their spares like I did :laugh:

EvanAL

Regular
Well, I'm having a tough time with mine. It is still a bare frame. I cannot find the cable stops anywhere! I have been talking directly with Bianchi USA too. No luck.

I'm hesitant to spend money on parts if I can't make this thing work. Also missing the chainsuck guard, I'm planning on fabbing my own out of stainless steel.

I emailed the Bianchi mothership, but haven't heard back because of the Coronavirus I'm assuming.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Well, I'm having a tough time with mine. It is still a bare frame. I cannot find the cable stops anywhere! I have been talking directly with Bianchi USA too. No luck.

I'm hesitant to spend money on parts if I can't make this thing work. Also missing the chainsuck guard, I'm planning on fabbing my own out of stainless steel.

I emailed the Bianchi mothership, but haven't heard back because of the Coronavirus I'm assuming.

If I get a chance later I'll take a few photos of the cable stops I have fitted to mine. I'll send them to my friendly lbs owner - see if he can dig around and find any more. If he has some I'll let you know and ask if he can post them out to you :okay:

EvanAL

Regular
If I get a chance later I'll take a few photos of the cable stops I have fitted to mine. I'll send them to my friendly lbs owner - see if he can dig around and find any more. If he has some I'll let you know and ask if he can post them out to you :okay:

Jhnbssll, that would be awesome. I don't have any shops that deal with the high-end product around here. I also suspect that my timing is all wrong with the coronavirus. I just lost a good friend the other day to the virus. The virus problem is very real.

Here is a pic of my frame. It does indeed look like we have the same beast! How are you enjoying yours? Do you find it to have a "Twitchy" personality? I'm coming off of a steel Bianchi grizzly, so I don't think the old school head angle will bother me! Thanks for the assist!

-Evan

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
So sorry to hear of your loss. My wife works in the health service so I understand the severity of the situation only too well :sad:

Regarding the frame, I use it for cross country with a 100mm travel fork so the geometry works pretty well. Not sure how it would ride with a longer travel fork but don't know what your plans are for it :smile:

I took some photos for you... Here is the cable stop. I drilled it out for the brake hose as I'd run the dropper post through the brake hose holes :laugh:

These are exactly the same as the cable stops in my Oltre, and my old Aria, and I assume most other modern bianchi frames. Looking at the frame I couldnt work out how the internal rear derailleur cable route works around the BB - I suspect you'll need to run a full length cable outer all the way from shifter to mech but run internally through the downtube and chainstay.

Are you running a front mech? If so you'll need to work out front mech cable routing around the BB too. There are holes for a plastic guide piece but I guess you'll struggle to find one, it might be unique to the methanol but not sure how you'd find out if Bianchi aren't helping :wacko:

Here's a close up of my rear axle solution too...

EvanAL

Regular
I still have no luck with the cable stops as BianchiUSA is now closed down. If you can get more fittings from your guy, I'll gladly pay you.

I'm looking at two fork options:

Formula 33

Rockshox RS-1

I like the fork to ride high in the travel and have lots of compression damping until I really need it, but hated the platform on old manitou forks. I have been running a marzocchi xfly. Also considering DVO sapphire slammed to 100mm for this reason. Anybody have any thoughts? I ride very aggressive XC. Like blue (mid) runs at DH bike parks aggro.

Bought a rear hub as I found a good deal on the last gen I9 torch! Going X01 twist shift group. Raceface turbine crank and controls. Thinking of one-up dropper. What to do for rims?

Musings from Evan

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
@EvanAL did you get your Methanol finished in the end? Would be cool to see it if you did :okay:

I've just popped new tyres on mine so it's wearing more suitable rubber now in the form of Schwalbe Racing Ray and Racing Ralph's 😊 Potentially taking her out for the first time in ages on Sunday morning so looking forward to that :becool:

EvanAL

Regular
I went with a DVO sapphire slammed to 100mm, mechanical discs for simplicity, and 25mm DT swiss rims on DT/I9 hubs. And grip shift Eagle! 180mm dropper post too!

The thing rips with 2.4 tires!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've done a couple more long-ish rides on this beasty now, the last of which was a couple of weekends ago. It was a 35 mile off-road sportive, in 45mph wind and rain - pretty brutal but the bike was ace :becool: The one thing I missed was seeing power data so I've managed to track down an M9000 lh power meter crank arm which arrived today :okay: I was looking for a Stages G3 as I've got those on the two main road bikes but settled for a 4iiii when I realised they were like hens teeth now :laugh:

Here it is fitted and wrapped in protective film

And here she is after the 35 miler - I was equally muddy from head to toe :laugh:

Top Bottom