New Bianchi build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Got some new grub screws today for the XTR shifters - the previous owner had knackered the originals so I didnt dare tighten them down for fear of not getting them off again :laugh: Controls are now all fitted, waiting on grips to finalise the positions.

20190711_201350.jpg

20190711_201439.jpg

20190711_201403.jpg

20190711_201417.jpg

Cassette and seatpost clamp also arrived today so I popped them on, cassette is only finger tight as it'll come off again to build the wheel :smile:

20190711_201324.jpg

20190711_201339.jpg

I'm tracking the rear mech on it's way from Japan, due in to customs any time now so should be with me early next week :okay: Rims are being made and should be despatched by the end of next week...

I'm popping in to the lbs tomorrow with it to see if they have any Bianch Di2 frame fittings, hopefully they'll be able to sort me out as they usually do :laugh:

The previous owner of the Di2 display had changed the default PIN so couldn't connect wirelessly yesterday. I connected it up to the eTube software this evening to reset the bluetooth PIN and update the firmware of the bits currently connected, all up to date and working fine now :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Rear mech not through customs yet :sad: Not that I'd be able to do anything if it had arrived without a chain, rims or spokes :laugh:

Some bits have arrived though. Grips, final Di2 wire, tyres and the saddle came in this mornings post and I popped in to the lbs this afternoon and managed to get the Di2 frame fittings I needed to finish off the cabling :becool:

20190712_202553~2.jpg
20190712_202607.jpg
20190712_202620.jpg

So I've got the Di2 cable going in on the right where the rear mech cable would usually enter. I drilled out the frame fitting usually used for the front mech cable on the left to allow the rear brake hose to fit through. This left the hole on the left usually used for the brake hose for the dropper post hose :okay:

With that all done I shortened the dropper post hose - this turned out to be really simple, the barb at the remote end simply unscrews allowing you to cut the hose to length and refit :okay:

Then decided I may as well trim the steerer and tighten the headset properly. Popped the grips and saddle on, jobs a goodun :okay:

20190712_202632.jpg
20190712_205302.jpg

Just as I was finishing up for the evening I realised the saddle had a sticker on the bottom saying 'narrow' and I had ordered a 'wide'... D'oh. A quick check revealed the packaging says wide and the order says wide, it's only the saddle that says narrow. I measured it to check and it is indeed wrong so that's come off again to go back for a replacement :rolleyes::laugh:

Tyres don't seem to fit very well...

20190712_180649.jpg

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Awesome ground clearing BB height tho :smile:

Looking good, i spent ages to no avail hunting for cube frame fittings that screw into the down tube.
I hate the shove in rubber grommets

Yeah, looks so much neater with the proper frame fittings and grommets :okay: I was pretty chuffed when I found them in the lbs' box of bits, and even more chuffed when the owner gave them to me free of charge :laugh:

No progress at the moment but I took a photo of her outside for the first time this evening while I was having a clear up in the garage :okay:

20190716_202546.jpg

The rims are made and on their way but the rear mech still hasn't materialised :rolleyes: I had to order a new saddle in the end because CRC didn't have the correct one in stock and refunded me instead. Should arrive later this week along with spokes and chain which I ordered yesterday :okay: Hopefully the rims won't take too long to arrive, it would be nice to have it done by the end of the month to have a play while the evenings are still light :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I just paid the duty on the rear mech, should be delivered on Thursday. The rims left China 4 days ago according to the tracking details so would like to think I'll be getting a customs card through the door for those soon too ^_^ I'm really looking forward to bombing around the woods on a hardtail :laugh::becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
My carbon rims have arrived :thumbsup: I got back quite late this evening so only had a chance to lace and tension the rear wheel but it's looking great so far ^_^

20190809_224901.jpg
20190809_234618.jpg
20190810_002033.jpg

I need to pick up some tubeless rim tape tomorrow and build the front wheel up, I might even get a chance to go for a spin on her tomorrow :becool:^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
Them look proper beefy, fantastic looking rims
I realy need to have a crack a wheel building.. Looks like a good way to lose yourself for a few hrs

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Yeah I'm really pleased with them; they've built up really well and feel rock solid. The only niggle is the tyres are super tight - I noticed I'd put the front on backwards once I'd pumped it up and seated it. Can I get the bugger off again? Can I :cursing: :laugh: Anyway, all built up and ready for some final tweaking on a test ride :becool:

20190810_144453.jpg
20190810_144505.jpg
20190810_144519.jpg
20190810_144530.jpg

I now just need to work out how to get the tyre off again :laugh: unlacing the spokes and spinning the hub round seems a little extreme... :whistle:

EvanAL

Regular
Jhnbssl, I just ordered the same frame and was hoping you could provide some insight. I am told that I will also not receive frame accoutrements.

Are the cable fittings you used a standard DI2 fitting? I am mechanical cable guy and am looking for suggestions on where to buy tbe fittings. Also do your cables rattle in the frame? Have you put in any cable liner to deaden sound?

What size is tbe seatpost and what is the headset, a ZS 44/56?

Thanks!

Top Bottom