New bike advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Just, test ride, test ride and test ride until you find the one you want and not just around the shops car park.

The bike is a birthday present for the OP's adult son.

Found the ideal bike for him, Rich

adventure-journal-daily-bike-sausage-bike.jpg

ccolin120

I bought the Boardman Sport four or five weeks ago. It seems fairly decent, been out on it at the local trail centre a couple of times. I'm very much a mtb beginner though, so nothing to compare it against. I did get an extra 15% off rrp, as Halfords were doing a promotion on Boardman at the time.

I went to pick it up on a Friday morning that was extremely wet. I got a taxi to Halfords, so needed to ride it home. This involves a fairly steep short climb. I'm a regular road rider though, so fairly fit, and its a climb I would have breezed up on my road bike. About half way up the climb I was absolutely gasping for air, my legs felt like I had just run a marathon.

I had to get off and walk. I knew MTBs were a bit harder to ride on the road, but this was ridiculous. My primary thought was that I had just wasted a lot of money as I obviously wasn't anywhere near fit enough to ride a MTB.

I pushed up the hill, and got back on the bike on the flat. Again, it was a major struggle. I arrived home completely knackered after a two mile ride, totally devastated at my introduction to mountain biking.

It was about 15 minutes later when I got my breath back, and noticed there was virtually no air in the rear tyre.......

D'oh

As above, however, once I put some air in the tyre, it seems a fairly decent bike for the money

Motozulu

Über Member
The Boardy will do you fine - and yes, get used to being knackered for a bit. Please don't take this as a knock at roadies, certainly not meant to be, but I would guess that hard MTB miles are going to be a fair bit harder than hard road miles - if that makes sense?

there is nothing more knackering than a technical climb involving loose surface, steps, rocks and big roots.

ccolin120

The Boardy will do you fine - and yes, get used to being knackered for a bit. Please don't take this as a knock at roadies, certainly not meant to be, but I would guess that hard MTB miles are going to be a fair bit harder than hard road miles - if that makes sense?

There is nothing more knackering than a technical climb involving loose surface, steps, rocks and big roots.

Definitely makes sense, and I have already experienced it. After a couple of outings I also think its more enjoyable than ploughing the furrow on the road, certainly a lot more thought and planning goes into your riding. I guess a healthy mix of both will be ideal.

Problem was my first couple of miles were definitely made far harder by the non inflation of the back tyre by the shop ! I didn't notice it because I was so annoyed at the weather that day.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes ha ha that wouldn't help! I admire you lads who can do the long miles on a road bike - I just can't hack the (to me) boredom of it and it's why my roadie/MTB mates are all much fitter than me.

Top Bottom