New bike, and new muscle pain -fit query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upandover

Guru
Hello,

I've got a.new bike this week, and when riding it, I've started to feel it when pushing hard in my shin muscles, about 2/3 of the way down, rather than in my calf muscles as normal.

I'm assuming this is a fit / adjustment issue, but I can't figure it out when moving around to try different positions.

Does anyone have any suggestion of either things to read please, or direction of movement to try?

Thanks
James

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Off the top of my head I'd wonder if you are sitting further forward / back than you were on your old bike? If you haven't still got the older machine to compare it with perhaps tinkering with fore and aft movement of the saddle might be worth a try.

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
Thank you. I think I might try adjusting on different days. I tried moving back and forth as I cycled.and couldn't see the difference, but it might be that it was all a bit immediate, and that once my shins were aching a little, it was hard to see the difference.

Good advice. Thank you.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you been cycling much recently?
You can get shin splints cycling, too much too soon?

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
No. I've been doing 4k commutes (on shared paths, so casual speeds), but in the last couple of days I've done a 40km and 30km rides for the first time in years.

It could just be too much to quickly do you think? Thank you.

vickster

Legendary Member
No. I've been doing 4k commutes (on shared paths, so casual speeds), but in the last couple of days I've done a 40km and 30km rides for the first time in years.

It could just be too much to quickly do you think? Thank you.
Yep too much too soon…overuse. What’s your post ride recovery regime? Stretching?
4km is barely a warm up esp. compared to 40km. Was it hilly?
Is your saddle a bit high so you’re stretching to pedals?

OP
OP
upandover

upandover

Guru
We'll, it was on my new ebike, so the hills weren't so much of an issue. But I spent a lot of time once it got me upto speed, pushing hard above the moter limit, which (although the bike rolls beautifully), at my low fitness level, was harder and more consistent work than I've done in ages. I did also do a 40k ride on my regular bike a few days before, which wouldn't have helped.

That's wise advice, thank you. I'll dial it right back for a few days and build up more carefully, and see what difference it makes.

Thank you.

si_c

Guru
Saddle position is a common cause of shin pain. Slightly too high or too far back as said above.

Top Bottom