New bike - Bianchi Via Nirone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Managed to get out for a 47 mile circuit throught the South Downs on Sunday. As it happens my lycra shorts and mitts showed up on Saturday so I had the full Sunday rider regalia on - and felt pretty comfortable, mainly as the South Downs were packed with riders of all shapes and colours.

Did the 47 miles in 3 hrs 1 min, which I have no idea whether that's a good time or not, but I did have a great time, and my Via Nirone was excellent. Reached max speed of 42mph on one of the downhills, and that was exhilarating, but the biggest revelation came on the climbs - very easy to get a good rhythm, and much more comfortable to get up in the pedals than my old ride.

I have no idea about the altitude climbed, bikemap reckons 2099 feet, bikehike over 3000 feet. :rolleyes:

My only concern was over a kind of noise from BB, when really pushing on or getting up in the pedals. Only from the left pedal, and the sound was kind of a metallic tightening - but subtle, not loud. Probably just the BB needs a good tightening.

Anyways, the odo now reads 85 miles, so should break the 100 mile mark on the ride home tonight. I still love my bike :wub:

Sonofpear

My mate just got the veloce spec one. Lovely lovely bike. Lovely colour aswell.

Judderz

If yours has Vittoria Zaffiro tyres I'd get them off straight away. I ran for 1200 miles without a flat but the new Contis I've got are so much faster.

+1 I got my Orbea with Zaffiro's on, although never had a puncture in 12months, I replaced them also with Conti's, and found my avg speed had upped, found myself running on a higher gear, there really is less rolling resistance than the Zaffiro's

yello

It's the first time that I've heard of a Spec Rockhopper being referred to as a "BSO". ;) They were always a good bike imho. Have things changed?

Glad you're enjoying the new bike though. I still get a buzz out of my old alu framed Bianchi. It just seems to accelerate effortlessly - it's so incredibly light compared to my steel framed audax bike.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Haha! If anyone had referred to it as a BSO as recently as a week ago, there would have been words... or worse.

However, it is about 17 years old, and in need of some fettling. BSO by comparison to my new ride - can we settle on that?

I am not going to get rid, though, and a revitalization plan is on the cards for this winter. I love(d) that bike, want to love it again.

Luuuurve the new bike :becool: Thanks for the kind words.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Now 150 miles on the clock, and loving her more than ever. Just gave her a loving wipe down before riding into work this morning.

BB a little noisy, rear derailleur a touch imprecise, and chain fell off front small ring twice. I expect components to get a little out of true on a new bike, but is this a little too much? I am a little suspicious of the assembly process at Evans, and will get my LBS to check the bike over and adjust what is needed.

Planning to do a 50 miler this weekend, and want the bike to be perfect for that. :becool:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Getting mine today. Planning a 30-40 miler with some friends on Sunday. Really looking forward to it.

Oh you must be really excited.

What pedals are you going for BTW? Remember to post pics of your new bike, and let us know how your Sunday ride went.

Sonofpear

Yeah mate i'm really excited, like a kid at christmas
They threw in some bog standard bontrager ones with straps. Unfortunately I can't afford clipless pedals and shoes at the minute. But they'll be next on my list.
What pedal shoe combo have you got. Haven't really delved into looking at them yet so wouldn't know what to get.

WychwoodTrev

Vamp sounds like a little service is what your new ride needs.cables sound like they have stretched a bit and the adjuster have bedded in.now the noise from the bb needs a mech to look at.good luck with she sounds like a great bike

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Vamp sounds like a little service is what your new ride needs.cables sound like they have stretched a bit and the adjuster have bedded in.now the noise from the bb needs a mech to look at.good luck with she sounds like a great bike

Thanks, that's what I thought. She's a beaut.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Yeah mate i'm really excited, like a kid at christmas
They threw in some bog standard bontrager ones with straps. Unfortunately I can't afford clipless pedals and shoes at the minute. But they'll be next on my list.
What pedal shoe combo have you got. Haven't really delved into looking at them yet so wouldn't know what to get.

I have gone for Shimano SPD SL 105's. They come in black, so look great with the black chainset. I have to say that clipless are awesome, you WILL be wanting to look into that soon. The 105 get good reviews (apparently just as good as the more expensive Ultegra) so I went with those. Pedals get all the force that you generate riding transmitted through them, so I wanted ones with good quality bearings.

Shoes are Shimano something or other - went for a shoe that felt comfy and they had in the right size. IMO so long as the shoe is comfy it probably doesnt matter too much which you get.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Hahahahaha! Having got blase about clipless, I ended up falling off today.

Approaching traffic lights, I dropped from big ring to little ring at walking speed on approach to the line - and my chain promptly fell off! I was so preoccuppied at trying to figure what made that happen and angry at it happening again, that I totally forgot to unclip while stopping, only realising something wasn't quite right when I started to approach a 45 degree angle :laugh:

Was surprisingly soft and painless fall - so there's another fear reduced to manageable proportions.

Anyway, bike now has 234.4 miles on the odo, so I'll book it into it's first (free) service with Evans, and get the front mech adjusted.

Did 57 miler around Surrey hills on Sunday - was perfect then, everything smooth as you like, noise from BB gone, and having mickled the chain, the rear mech was smooth as butter.

Top Bottom