New bike - Bianchi Via Nirone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonofpear

Ahh so you've had your first fall aswell vamp, good to get it outta the way eh. Good to see your pounding the miles since you got your new bike aswell.
I'm going for a little ride tonight after work. Gonna really push myself and try a couple of small hills along the way.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Yeah Sonofpear - little rides after work are almost as much fun as big rides at the weekend! :blush: this was actually my second fall :whistle:

Surrey Hills

This is the route from last Sunday. Absolutely brilliant, the North Downs are superb for cycling. I am finding hills particularly enjoyable - in a perverse kind of way.

I have also signed up for a research project, where I commit to 5 evenings of testing in lab conditions, and in return get all the performance data to keep. Not just heartrate, but lactate levels at different workloads as well as VO2Max measurements. Very interesting, and shaping my thoughts on training and nutrition. I will post on that separately once I have the data to hand.

I am also now committed to doing my first Sportive, July the 3rd, again in the North Downs. It's one of the Ride It! events organised by Evans. I am going to stick to the 60 mile distance for this first one, see how I get on.

pash

I have a 2008 Xenon equipped with the vittoria tires. Have had no problems at all with the bike apart from a broken spoke which was quickly sorted by local Bianchi dealer in Benfleet Essex. He is superb and going into the shop is like Bianchi heaven. I love the Campag gears and shifters but its a pain that they arent compatible with Shimano hubs. Means I cant swap my race wheels from the TT bike to the Bianchi or vice versa for training rides. They have gone up a lot in price since I got mine as well but would always recommend them.
Enjoy your new ride and keep practicing with the clipless pedals!!

Sonofpear

That looks like a great ride vamp. I know what you mean about the hills. I've always loved the climbing aspect of riding although I have a long way to go haha

Managed a short ride tonight. Only 13 miles @ 16mph average. Was into a strong headwind but I felt like I really puahed myself.

Do you use a bike computer or smartphone app to record your rides?

Nuno Woolmez

Hey, just seen this thread & as a fellow Nirone owner i felt compelled to add to it. I have upgraded everything on the bike save the excellent frame & fork combo, the Ultegra STI's & the rear derailleur. That's not to say i was unhappy with it, it is a super entry bike. Mine was a 2009 edition & has a lovely red & white frame with black & white forks & seatstays!

I have upgraded all components to make up the full Ultegra groupaet save for the Fulcrum chainset i have put on. Pair of Bontrager Rl wheels & Conti GP 4000 tyres. I had a bike fitting at Sigma Sport after experiencing neck & back pain & ended up having to replace saddle, stem, seat post, & bars. No problems now tho. Rides like a dream & looks wicked! If you do want to upgrade wheels & tyres are first up.

I had lots of clipless mishaps first out too so you are not alone! Worst was probably saturday lunch time in Camden High St in the market!

Enjoy your Nirone!

Sonofpear

I had a little look at those Evans ride it events. None anywhere near me. My friend was telling me about a few events here in the north east which sounded good. He also did the coast to coast which I like the sound of. Need to get a bit fitter before I would tackle that tho.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
That looks like a great ride vamp. I know what you mean about the hills. I've always loved the climbing aspect of riding although I have a long way to go haha

Managed a short ride tonight. Only 13 miles @ 16mph average. Was into a strong headwind but I felt like I really puahed myself.

Do you use a bike computer or smartphone app to record your rides?

I cycle to work on odd days, 31 miles round trip, so that keeps me ticking over during the week. I keep getting faster on that, so it feels quite motivating, and the 15.5 mile one way is short enough to basically push the whole way. My best home run (less climbing) is 19.3 mph, but last night with headwind only managed 18.5 mph.

Into work is slower, and my best is 17.5 mph, which I guess was wind assisted as it was also yesterday :rolleyes:

At the moment I am just using a basic computer to keep track of my mileage and time, and record all in bikemaps manually. But am saving up for a Garmin :becool:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Hey, just seen this thread & as a fellow Nirone owner i felt compelled to add to it. I have upgraded everything on the bike save the excellent frame & fork combo, the Ultegra STI's & the rear derailleur. That's not to say i was unhappy with it, it is a super entry bike. Mine was a 2009 edition & has a lovely red & white frame with black & white forks & seatstays!

I have upgraded all components to make up the full Ultegra groupaet save for the Fulcrum chainset i have put on. Pair of Bontrager Rl wheels & Conti GP 4000 tyres. I had a bike fitting at Sigma Sport after experiencing neck & back pain & ended up having to replace saddle, stem, seat post, & bars. No problems now tho. Rides like a dream & looks wicked! If you do want to upgrade wheels & tyres are first up.

I had lots of clipless mishaps first out too so you are not alone! Worst was probably saturday lunch time in Camden High St in the market!

Enjoy your Nirone!

Sounds like a great bike! Yep saving up for wheels and tyres as well as the Garmin :biggrin: But I want to get at least a thousand miles out of the wheels and tyres I have on now, so as to feel I got my monies worth ;)

Interesting regarding your comments on a proper fitting, as I do get a fairly stiff neck on longer (3hrs+) rides. I will look into that as well.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I had a little look at those Evans ride it events. None anywhere near me. My friend was telling me about a few events here in the north east which sounded good. He also did the coast to coast which I like the sound of. Need to get a bit fitter before I would tackle that tho.

I find the fact that I am signed up for an event hugely motivating, so I guess I will always be looking to have something in the pipeline. I also reckon that it's best to do something while relatively unfit, as it gives you a kick up the arse, and gives a you a stake in the sand to compare gainst as you get fitter going forward.

I used that approach in running, and plan to use in cycling too.

The coast to coast sounds great, maybe something to aim for in future years.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Oi, I've got a 1987 Rockhopper and it's no BSO!

You are absolutely right. I have come to the same conclusion, and have already apologised to Edmund (that's my Rockhopper's name).

It's totally not his fault that I have allowed him to get a little out of shape. He is now booked in for a service, and will get his brakes etc. fixed ASAP.

I have also been told that retro rigid mountainbikes are going to be the next thing in cool - so am planning to ride that wave big stylee.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I have a 2008 Xenon equipped with the vittoria tires. Have had no problems at all with the bike apart from a broken spoke which was quickly sorted by local Bianchi dealer in Benfleet Essex. He is superb and going into the shop is like Bianchi heaven. I love the Campag gears and shifters but its a pain that they arent compatible with Shimano hubs. Means I cant swap my race wheels from the TT bike to the Bianchi or vice versa for training rides. They have gone up a lot in price since I got mine as well but would always recommend them.
Enjoy your new ride and keep practicing with the clipless pedals!!

:thumbsup:

I also love the Campag kit. I was initially thinking of upgrading to Veloce in fairly short order, but now see no reason to - the Xenon kit is excellent.

I feel totally at home with the clipless pedals - so much so I forgot I had them :rolleyes:

nightoff

Another Via Nirone owner here. I have the 2010 version with a Tiagra group set.

I too love my bike. It has carried me about 2500 miles in the last 10 months with not too many problems.
I do feel a little guilty about spoiling its lines with commuter gear all over it though. It's currently covered in lights, Crud Road Racer guards and has a great big saddle bag hanging off the back which I tend to keep on, even when going on my weekend blasts.

Upgrades so far is the saddle to a Spesh Alias, Michelin Krylion Carbon tyres, Shimano R500 wheels, Swiss Stop Green brake blocks.
Planned upgrades are Fulcrum 5s, Shimano M540 pedals and a new stem to tweak the fit for more comfort on longer rides. Can't really fault the Tiagra group set so than will stay until it dies.

I am fitting a new chain this weekend and giving her an over due service.

I rode all through the cold winter on the salty roads and she still looks like new. What a bike :biggrin:

Top Bottom