New bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveoo

Hi all
Over the next 12 months i'am looking to build a full suspension bike,i have one question though.
How do i pick what frame to buy,i know price is a factor but how will i know if i've bought the correct frame and that it suits me.i would only find out once the bike was finished is there a way of narrowing the field.There are so many to choose from?:idea:
cheers

Cubist

Still wavin'
That's the problem with custom builds, you can't test ride them until you've built it!

You need to narrow it down a bit by having a good honest think about what you want and how you are going to go about it. What sort of terrain are you going to ride? Are you a big hitter or a trail mincer? Do you want fast light cross country, or big aggressive Enduro/ Gravity style bike?

You have three basic categories to think about, cross country short travel, mid-travel trail bikes and then the long travel Enduro and Alpine stuff. They then they are divided into sub categories, based on budget, niche, components etc. You can get any number of short travel bikes, with 100-120mm travel forks, such as Cube AMS, Giant Anthem, Trance, Trek Fuel, which will be great for singletrack blasts, better at climbing than descending, or you may fancy something a bit plusher for rocky trail bashing, 140-150mm bikes such as the Orange Five, Lapierre 514, Canyon Nerve Am, in fact virtually every manufacturer does a 140/150 bouncer. This too is where the niche and custom market really takes off. Check IBIS Mojo, Yeti AR, Trance, Wicked, YT, Devinci and many, many more.

I'm going to assume you don't want or need a 160-180mm bike unless you tell me otherwise.

So. There is a massive world of niche frame-only bikes out there, and your budget is going to start at say £500 for a used Giant or a new Titus, or you could price up an IBIS Mojo in all its carbon fibred glory. Once you've set your budget you've got to decide how you are going to source components. Have you already got a hardtail with good enough kit to swap onto a new frame? Are you starting from scratch and intend to buy internet/eBay bargains? It can be done! Are you wealthy enough to buy all new components in groupset bundles? Can you find yourself a donor bike and buy it for its components?

There's a few questions to be getting on with. If you need to know what a genre of bike feels like, try to get on some demo days, or ride a demo bike. Can you invite yourself onto other people's bikes for a "feel" or a test ride? £30 will get you a lap or two of Llandegla on an Orange Five for example, or you can nip across to Scapegoat Hill and have a ride on a 140mm Canyon for nowt.

You may even just want to read a few magazines and get a feel for what looks good and sounds good. Get onto Singeltrackworld and have a look at what folk are chatting about and buying and selling (I got my Canyon frame from STW classifieds.)

OP
OP
steveoo

steveoo

Thanks for that cubist thats given me plenty to think of.
The new bike will be used for long cross country treks but i need it to be able to handle some rocky stuff and take some stick when pushing hard.
The bike will never be used on road apart from short rides upto 5 miles or so just to get to the trails.
Frame wise possible £500 - £800 budget.New would be best.
All components would be purchased ebay/bargain hunts but new not used.
I am keeping my hardtail for all other rides i dont want to ruin it by forcing it to do things its not up to if you know what i mean,thats the reason for the new bike build.
I have heard poor things about carbon frames especially in my price range so will probably stick with alloy.
I'am not bothered about buying the very latest gear but want good quality.
will give it a lot of thought over the xmas period then write my list up.
cheers

Motozulu

Über Member
Steve I'm considering a carbo cube reaction pro - going to see that and it's alu brother - what have ya heard on the carbon front? ( rrp for the carbon reaction pro was £!,450)

OP
OP
steveoo

steveoo

Car'nt say i know much about carbon but i,ve been told that at the lower end of the price range fractures and breakage have been known.Dont know of any particular makes but as i am a bit green in the gills on this i'am sticking to alloy.Although carbon does look good.

Motozulu

Über Member
That's ok mate, thought you had heard something specific. Was talking to an LBS today - well a couple actually who told me that yes, early doors there were weaknesses but that now - with any bike around the £1300 mark - that carbon is as strong as aluminium and it's a bit of a modern myth that they snap or break any more than others. His words were - 'If you run an alu into a tree it'll bend and you'll have a fold and a weak spot - do the same to a Carbon get the same result, no different'

Top Bottom