New bike condition/state?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

totem

Total Newb, but eager to learn
I've received a new bike, it was delivered by courier, and this will be my first. The bike is largely great, but I have some concerns about some aspects for its condition that might mean I'll request a replacement bike is warrarnted. As I have no prior experience could you guys help clarify a few things.

Is it common for new bikes to have minor imperfections - scratches, chips, blemishes, excess glue (I believe)?
http://imgur.com/a/cvud1
http://imgur.com/a/XAla9
http://imgur.com/a/jjTOB
http://imgur.com/a/xtys9
cvud1
XAla9
jjTOB
xtys9

Are the QR dropouts sometimes overtightened? What is the correct way to close the QR dropouts, so it's just right?

Do the disc brakes sometimes rub/incorrectly aligned?

Is it usual for the handle bars to be setup for transport in the following fashion?
http://imgur.com/a/TdXID
TdXID

I understand I'm probably being precious, but any insight would help me understand what i should be expecting from a new bike.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I can only see the first four and then one later photo but:

The bike will be simply bought and sent out from the manufacturer. They almost certainly won't have opened it, unless it's a return. The only issue I can see with the 4 photos is the scrape on the RH rear dropout - that's an indication it may be a return.

Were the wheels already fitted? It does look like it's possible you're the second recipient of this.

And yes, handlebars are usually like this for ease of transport.

OP
OP
T

totem

Yes, the wheels were already fitted.

Thanks for clearing up about the handlebars.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've bought a couple of bikes online. Handlebars were turned and don't think the wheels were fitted

One of the potential downsides of buying online, might be cheaper but cannot qc (and risk the hassle of having to return) and no 6 week check.

simon.r

Person
If I'd received that bike I'd be unsure whether to return it or not.

The pragmatist in me would think that the tiny chip in the paint would be accompanied by a few more within a few months of riding, that the excess glue(?) could be easily removed and that the dropouts would go like that as soon as I put bolts in them.

The perfectionist would be very annoyed that it wasn't in mint condition.

On balance, I'd probably accept it, but ask for a replacement QR.

But I would understand if you chose to return it.

Edit - the QR's should be tightened just right and the discs shouldn't rub. That's something the supplying shop should sort as part of the PDI.

If it was delivered by Yodel, A) I'm not surprised it looks like that, B) I'm surprised they didn't just chuck it in a hedge / wheely bin, and hope you found it. I'd get it returned, and replaced just to be on the safe side. It sounds like whoever put it together was having a 'Friday afternoon' moment as well.

U

User33236

When I received my Planet-X the wheels were already on and all I had to do was rotate the bars to the correct position so not really unusual.

I'd be a bit miffed if I received a bike chip chips etc like that but how miffed would depend on what I'd paid for it.

QR should be tight enough that when pressed home it leaves an imprint on your hand.

OP
OP
T

totem

Wasn't Yodel, it was TNT, but if look at the box in the background of the last pic you can see one of the two holes/damage that the box arrived in.

OP
OP
T

totem

When I received my Planet-X the wheels were already on and all I had to do was rotate the bars to the correct position so not really unusual.

I'd be a bit miffed if I received a bike chip chips etc like that but how miffed would depend on what I'd paid for it.

QR should be tight enough that when pressed home it leaves an imprint on your hand.

Thanks for that, especially the last part, needed some gauage to judge what was sufficent.

I would return and ask for a refund. The bike looks like a return and resale.

The guard and rack bosses have previously been screwed in with bolts so there are signs of use.

The band on mech shouldn't have a scrape that size unless something has grated against it like a wheel or saddle. It looks like and oversize box so assume both wheels were fitted in dropouts.

Was there any packaging or wrapping over the frame like cardboard? If not that is probably another sign of a return.

postieparr

Give it a few months and there will probably be a few more marks however careful you are with your new purchase.
Although saying that, I would be more than a little annoyed not to have received what I payed for in perfect condition. If and when you do slip up it would be your own fault and not some careless courier or packer that caused the damage.
If you are happy to live with it as is, contact the supplier and notify them. You never know, with a bit of persuasion you might be able to get a bit of money off

OP
OP
T

totem

Give it a few months and there will probably be a few more marks however careful you are with your new purchase.
Although saying that, I would be more than a little annoyed not to have received what I payed for in perfect condition. If and when you do slip up it would be your own fault and not some careless courier or packer that caused the damage.
If you are happy to live with it as is, contact the supplier and notify them. You never know, with a bit of persuasion you might be able to get a bit of money off
How much might I able to get off, either value or %

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
IMO the various chips should not be there and you are entitled to a replacement.

Just the paint under the forks damage is enough, that's gonna rust

Top Bottom