New bike day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J1888

Über Member
Off to pick up my new bike soon - Boardman Team Carbon. It's my first road bike but took it for a test ride and loved it.

Can anyone give any tips/pointers that I should look out for in the early weeks of riding, or parts that should be upgraded etc (wheels obvs)

First thing will be to get rid of the 'pedals' that it comes with.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My tip- post a picture when you get it. Have fun!

vickster

Legendary Member
Why is it obvious that the wheels should be upgraded? What's wrong with them?

Enjoy the bike. Remember to take it back for its 6 week check

kiriyama

What wheels does it have? mavics? Keep them. Most important 'upgrade' would be to sort your position out on the bike. Pleanty to of tips on here/YouTube. You will get more power/comfort out of that than any wheel upgrade. Then enjoy riding it. Get yourself some shiney new wheels later when your used to the bike, you might notice a difference then that you wouldn't notice now.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Give the bike a brief safety check before riding it.

I'm not having a pop at Halfords, but like most bike shops staff tend to work on bikes in between serving customers.

This can lead to lapses in concentration and things being missed.

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Give the bike a brief safety check before riding it.

I'm not having a pop at Halfords, but like most bike shops staff tend to work on bikes in between serving customers.

This can lead to lapses in concentration and things being missed.

Thanks - I'll do that. As its a Cycle Republic one they have their own workshop, so hopefully it'll be fine

vickster

Legendary Member
Aren't the wheels really rubbish?

They're mavic something or other...

Why do you say that? Define rubbish? Mavic wheels are decent enough, although I think it can sometimes be hard to get replacement spokes etc, but that can be so for any factory built set. My handbuilts have Mavic open pro rims, as recommended by the wheel builder

Zaffiro tyres aren't great, change those first if itching to spend more cash

Otherwise, just get out there and enjoy your new bike. I assume you've got it insured properly, that's more important than shiny wheels...even more so if a C2W or finance purchse

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Thanks - really enjoyed the ride home yesterday despite still recovering from a heavy cold.

Not insured Vickster, guess I'll have to look into that over the weekend

OP
OP
J

J1888

Über Member
Eeek, just checked CycleGuard - 92 quid for a year...that's more than a tenth of the price of the bike!!

Stevec047

Über Member
No need to start upgrading just jump on the bike and enjoy the ride. But one thing to do straight away is get a bike fit best thing I did and made a massive difference to the way I ride and enjoyment.

Over time there will be a few things you will want to replace but wheels should be fine for now. You will probably find the saddle will be the first thing that and the pedals as you have already mentioned.

Have fun

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yep most importantly enjoy , I'm just 6 weeks in ( bike went back in today for its check ) .

Padded shorts , Strava app will be my best upgrades to date though today see me upgrade the pedals also but not ridden with them just yet .

vickster

Legendary Member
Eeek, just checked CycleGuard - 92 quid for a year...that's more than a tenth of the price of the bike!!
Yes that's about what it costs for bike specific insurance. What about your home policy

Definitely sort insurance if you can't simply replace if stolen

90 quid is only about £8 a month, that's less than 2 pints or a takeaway. Start commuting by bike and you'll save much more vs public transport or fuel

Yes that's about what it costs for bike specific insurance. What about your home policy

Definitely sort insurance if you can't simply replace if stolen

90 quid is only about £8 a month, that's less than 2 pints or a takeaway. Start commuting by bike and you'll save much more vs public transport or fuel

3 pints and a bag of crisps oop 'ere! BB

Top Bottom