New bike delivered....Big problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Possibly sealed bearings?
looks like standard cup and cone , the outer cup silver has a nut head then a standard nut is on top of it , normally these have a rubber cover that is missing .

I saw pictures of the model and they show QR skewers and one dealers does mention QR skewers front and back. I think someone new must have assembled the front wheel. I think its the wrong wheel.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I’ve only bought one bike second hand reasonably locally but all the others have been online with no problems at all. Maybe just been lucky.
I think it's a personal choice. Clearly lots of people get on well with an online purchase. Years ago I wouldn't have the knowledge/confidence to buy online. I'd probably be OK now but after 20+ years with the same LBS I'm happy to stick with them.

I’ve only bought one bike second hand reasonably locally but all the others have been online with no problems at all. Maybe just been lucky.
Similar exeperience.

My first road bike was at the store as I had no idea about geometry etc. The rest of my bikes are however online. I would do an excel spreadsheet and transfer all the measurements and do a comparison. That is only after I had the confidence of understanding geometry plus reading up on reviews.

On one occasion I bought a frame and realised it was too large and called them on the same day. They told me they will despatch the next size down the next day and to hand over the larger frame to the same Parcel Force guy delivering the new frame.

LBS typically have inventory issues as they understandably have issues with space.

I suspect even if I had an issue, the turnaround time would be faster as their model is much better with delivery times and availability. And returns are second nature to them. Again their business model.

postman

Legendary Member
For me who likes everything correct,it would go back,every ride I would be listening to every creak and groan.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies ^_^ Im unfamiliar with quick release wheels so looking at the wheel sent i thought it was the wrong one ie a normal wheel Considering the other missing parts it was a reasonable assumption and i even discussed with e-bikes a cash adjustment my way for a standard wheel. So looking around the bike i tried the back wheel quick release....wouldnt budge. Then i thought i would try fitting the front wheel,,,,,nuts were screwed down tight and had to put a hell of a lot of pressure to get them to move and didnt feel right at all. The nut looks the same both sides as pic and im wondering if ive ******it up. It is the correct quick release wheel so it isnt a Frankenbike its just missing some parts.

Last edited:

cyberknight

Thanks for all the replies ^_^ Im unfamiliar with quick release wheels so looking at the wheel sent i thought it was the wrong one ie a normal wheel Considering the other missing parts it was a reasonable assumption and i even discussed with e-bikes a cash adjustment my way for a standard wheel. So looking around the bike i tried the back wheel quick release....wouldnt budge. Then i thought i would try fitting the front wheel,,,,,nuts were screwed down tight and had to put a hell of a lot of pressure to get them to move and didnt feel right at all. The nut looks the same both sides as pic and im wondering if ive ******it up. It is the correct quick release wheel so it isnt a Frankenbike its just missing some parts. View attachment 609706
the nut should be tight you dont undo it, it slots betwen the fork with the bit at the end resting in the fork notch
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/wheel-removal-and-installation

cyberknight

Thanks cyberknight, as ive undone them a way have i broken something?
no, to do it up properly your best to use cone spanners what it does it hold the bearings in place so they are supposed to be a certain tightness to hold everything in but no so tight that it stops the wheel spinning freely .
TBH i would hand tighten them and let the replace the whole bike or take the wheel to a bike shop and ask them to do it back up right if you dont have the tools or know what to do its only a 2 min job if you do or a headache if not

Top Bottom