New bike delivered....Big problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would happily source a bike online if the pricing was substantially more attractive. If it was only a few quid difference and I had a convenient LBS then I would buy in person. Some people get far too carried away with this notion that a LBS-supplied bike will have been lovingly put together and adjusted to perfection before the customer gets it. In most cases the LBS is not going to do much more than fit the front wheel if the bike was shipped with it removed, and turn the handlebars round straight. Any brake and gear adjustments are going to be very minimal. Not really much more than an online customer is going to do anyway when they take delivery.
The only real advantage of the LBS route I see is if the bike arrives damaged or with a significant fault, it's the LBS problem to get it sorted before they can hand it over, rather than the online customer having to argue the toss with the supplier who might not be very diligent about dealing with after sales issues.

I would happily source a bike online if the pricing was substantially more attractive. If it was only a few quid difference and I had a convenient LBS then I would buy in person. Some people get far too carried away with this notion that a LBS-supplied bike will have been lovingly put together and adjusted to perfection before the customer gets it. In most cases the LBS is not going to do much more than fit the front wheel if the bike was shipped with it removed, and turn the handlebars round straight. Any brake and gear adjustments are going to be very minimal. Not really much more than an online customer is going to do anyway when they take delivery.
The only real advantage of the LBS route I see is if the bike arrives damaged or with a significant fault, it's the LBS problem to get it sorted before they can hand it over, rather than the online customer having to argue the toss with the supplier who might not be very diligent about dealing with after sales issues.

I had a conversation with a bike shop manager in Bath, I forget the name of the shop and he basically stated that the higher end bikes come in pretty much ready to go with minor assembly and are typically well setup from the factory. I think he was talking about bikes around £1,500 or more but that entry level bikes typically needed more work and would come in with poor assembly, lack grease etc. Basically they would spend a lot more time setting up the cheaper bikes but they were their bread and butter earnings and best selling bikes so had to do it. However such bikes were less likely to be returned during warranty for repairs etc as were simpler bikes, less complex gears and often more durable, heavier parts etc. Maybe the people buying them would typically use the bikes less not sure.

I haven't bought many new bikes from a local shop but did buy a Carrera Subway 8 from Halfords and got a free upgrade from a rubbish Chin Haur bottom bracket and they fitted a very decent Shimano unit instead. The Chin Haur unit was clicking. I also had a Kona Lanai and that had a Chin Haur bottom bracket that had a huge recall on and I bought a £30 Saracen Pylon s/hand a few years ago from a bike shop that couldn't be bothered to sort it out so sold it cheap and that again had a failed Chin Haur unit although can't criticise that one as it was likely the original bottom bracket and the bike was about 12 years old when I bought it.

I'd always buy locally if the price is the same or there is a only a small price difference but sadly often there is a huge price difference. I buy by spec rather than brand and my local bike shops are typically fairly poor value. I remember going into my local bike shop a year or so back and their entry level mountain bike had awful basic Suntour forks, mechanical disc brakes and a freewheel based drivetrain so was really mountain bike style rather than an actual mountain bike and they wanted over £500 for it. For the same money in Halfords you could have got air forks, mid range Shimano groupset with freehub, hydraulic disc brakes and similar geometry on a Voodoo bike. I felt sorry for anyone that actually bought that bike from the local bike shop.

A bit like this Trek except this Trek actually has a worse fork with only 28mm stanchions but shares the same basic 7 speed freewheel you find on sub £100 bikes (well sub £100 bikes before the pandemic). I'd have to bite my lip if I came across anyone who bought that bike and wanted my opinion of the bike.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...ikes/marlin/marlin-4/p/29759/?colorCode=black

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
So just received a couple of skewers/pedals and a few plasticy bits reflectors etc but no handlebar stem.....I hope it wasn't lost en route or dropped into the Fires of Mount Doom......:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
What are you going to do now?
Hi dodgy. well all i need now is the handlebar stem and ive got a bike. Im wondering whether the parts situation is so bad companys are struggling to stay afloat. A few folk have recommended sending it back but my situation makes that difficult and if the bike is complete and nothing amiss then its ok. I havent a car at the mo so cant get to the PO, Inverness is 60m away [i live in Brora]. If i bought a 2nd hand bike im limited to something local and every bike seems to be MTB which i dont want.
Nope i'll keep it unless something is really bad with it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I havent a car at the mo so cant get to the PO, Inverness is 60m away [

I’d be telling the seller to arrange and pay for the collection, it’s their responsibility.
And for future reference, you can get parcels collected from your home by Royal Mail https://send.royalmail.com/

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
You need a bike shop or someone who knows what they're doing to set the bearing pre-load on the front wheel now you've messed about with it..
I know how to do this on a normal wheel but im not savvi with the quick release type. I had a bit of a temper on when i undid the nuts and it took a lot of pressure. Perhaps ive damaged the bearings in which case they can send me a new wheel.....i didnt start this ****up :rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good choice of bike for the money.

Once you have what you judge to be all the bits, I'd be inclined to take it to a local (or not in your case) bike shop and ask them to build it.

By the by, I'm still confused about the front wheel.

It looks like a nutted axle to me, rather than a quick release.

Top Bottom