New Bike (Disk) Brake Pads worn out in 37miles!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
Those of you who have seen my posts in other threads will be aware that 10days ago I bought a Boardman Team FS bike and am busy getting to know it.

The bike is specified as being fitted with Avid DB1 Hydraulic disc - 160mm Rotor Rear Brake.
I noted that the bike is actually fited with SRAM LEVEL brakes - which i believe are the same things as AVID are part of SRAM

I have since collecting the bike ridden a total of 37miles. Mainly off road, one particularly gritty grotty ride, one peat boggy and another off road gritty/on roady type ride.

Today whilst fitting a mudguard I happened to to look at the brake pads. I noticed that that the rear pads appeared to be very worn. Upon stripping off the caliper I found that both pads were badly worn, one more so than the other with the worse pad being almost down to the backing.(see attached pics). There is a little difference in wear between inner and outer pad, but nothing to worry me, both pistons move freely. There is no bind that I can find

Down at Halford's the lad i spoke to on the counter told me this is normal at this time of year with 6 weeks use normal (I got 10days) for set of organic pads. Needless to say they didn't have any pads in stock - but have ordered some for me as a goodwill gesture. At £10 a pair twice a month it is going to get expensive.

Do SRAM/Boardman fit starter pads that have less meat on them than replacements ?

The pads fitted have BC800 printed on the back, I cannot find out if they are OEM, or something fitted by Boardman does anyone know if they are organic or not?

How quickly do other people get through pads on MTBs? On my hybrid bike, which does get grotty and gritty I get 2-3000miles a pair.

I can't say i have been blown away by the brakes on the bike, they along with a RS with a lock out brakes are something i am looking to change. The feel is poor and I don't think they are that powerful. I much prefer my Shimano M615s retrofitted to my commuter (recommended here) - though I am not sure how they'd stand up on an MTB.

Attachments

• z2017-01-21-18.25.15.gif
    z2017-01-21-18.25.15.gif
    489.7 KB · Views: 672
  • z2017-01-21-18.25.27.gif
    z2017-01-21-18.25.27.gif
    474.6 KB · Views: 324
  • z2017-01-21-18.25.30.gif
    z2017-01-21-18.25.30.gif
    521 KB · Views: 317
  • z2017-01-21-18.26.30.gif
    z2017-01-21-18.26.30.gif
    482.9 KB · Views: 325
  • z2017-01-21-18.26.33.gif
    z2017-01-21-18.26.33.gif
    528.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
My 13 hybrid with mechanical disc are still on the original pads just over 4000 miles . Something sounds wrong with wear at less than 40 !

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Thanks for your comments. Fair do, maybe Ill try sintered pads. Feel cant be any worse!

I didnt think conditions were that bad.... I must be well'ard. ;-)

keithmac

Guru
I've got 3000 road miles on my Shimano pads and they are still serviceable (just).

They looked sintered when I had the brakes apart for cleaning a while back.

Milzy

Guru
MTB always go quicker than Road. I don't like my pads to be in a low state even if perfectly fine, so I change them early and things just feel better.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Theres much more meat left on one pad?

Ten Points

I was waiting for someone to point that out. The picture of the two pads side by side is one from the front, one from the back. The two rears are similar and i am happy it is not a set up issue.

MTB always go quicker than Road. I don't like my pads to be in a low state even if perfectly fine, so I change them early and things just feel better.

I accept that, but less than 50 was a bit of a shock.

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends on where you ride. One 10-20 mile ride in a wet gritty area will do a set of standard resin pads in.

Jody

Stubborn git
Sintered pads still grab well but just feel different to resin. Try some from Uberbike or Superstar components if you want to try different types. Could try some different types as well.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Sintered pads still grab well but just feel different to resin. Try some from Uberbike or Superstar components if you want to try different types. Could try some different types as well.

I've ordered some Sintered pads from Uber and Ill have the free set of pads from Halford's when they find them. So we will see what happens.

As I mentioned I wasn't entirely happy with them and was giving them the benefit of the doubt considering them to be "bedding in". We shall she what happens.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As said semi or sintered..for wet muddy grit..peak district can wreck pads in a few hrs or less for the terrifide on the brakes all the time 'me' lol or i could call it the Anti pain technique

Top Bottom