New bike: expensive frame with cheap components vs cheap frame with expensive components?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliShah2020

Hi all,

This year my family has gotten into cycling all at the same time. I'm looking to buy a third new bike... We are really big into hard tail MTB's as we live in London City and consider MTB's to be the most fun, robust, all rounder urban bike out there.

Question please:

New bike: expensive frame with cheap components vs cheap frame with expensive components? What are the pros and cons? Which one would you buy and why?

Your thoughts welcome. Thank you.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The frame should in theory outlast any components so that would make more sense. Buy good second hand and upgrade as you can afford.

si_c

Guru
Whilst I'd also say "frame", with
the caveat it that other components do need to be at least "adequate"
Pretty much nailed it on the head there.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For riding in London, I wouldn't go to the expensive end of the spectrum for either the frame or the components. Someone will just make the effort to nick it if there's a lot of money tied up in it. So long as the quality is good enough to ensure the bike is mechanically reliable, that's all you need. Cycling is not a beauty contest to see who has got the most expensive bike on the street.

Sharky

Guru
Frame every time, but if you are buying new, it will be part of a complete bike bundle. How do you establish which frame is best? Say you are comparing two bike brands at the same price point. One has a better groupset on. Do you go for the one with the lesser group set on, assuming that the frame is better to make up the cost to the same or could it be just marketing and competition that has reduced the price on the better group set bike?

Happy bike hunting.

Top Bottom