new bike - first time single/fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MessenJah

Rider
When I first started riding fixed, I scraped my pedal a couple of times while cornering. Twice I fell off. I was used to leaning over as far as possible. Nowadays I corner as fast as I used to, without leaning over as much - I just take the corners wider. I think once you have scraped your pedal a few times (if at all) you instinctively learn to corner without leaning so much.

I hear about people instinctively trying to coast and then almost getting thrown off the bike, but I I never had that problem. However, when I get on a freewheeling bike, I get a weird reflex when I coast - my muscles uncontrollably kick back on the pedals slightly, as if they're expecting the cranks to keep turning.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
My stomach muscles ached when i was on the club ride, i couldnt work out why. The muscles on the top of my legs also ached from the leg braking.
I get that reflex when i coast on the geared bike, doesnt feel right for abit.
Cournering i am still nervouse about, i'm still taking the courners fast, but i'm not leaning in as much, i'm using as much of the road as i can rather then to just turn the bike in.

OP
OP
R

rootes

well picked up the langster at the start of the thread..

bunged some single sided spds on, and took it for a spin up the road..

fixed as well! only forgot to keep pedalling once - only seems to be an issue if you are out of the saddle.

seem nice - though think the drop bars will have to go in favour of some bullhorns or straights..

cool as

I had a Pearson Touche before my present one and I certainly liked it. I tried fixed wheel but it is definately not for me.

My local shop, Putney Cycles, built me a very nice singlespeed with a Bob Jackson frame. Only been using it three weeks and I am very pleased with it.

OP
OP
R

rootes

well done a few miles on it (langster) now - find riding fixed fine - though bunnyhop on obs is an issue!

also changed to the drops to to profile airwings, these are better than the but still reckon I prefer straight bars - might change to some later

weird thing is i'm finding doing a track stand / balance at the lights more difficult on this than on other bikes... still need to get this right

Top Bottom