new bike - first time single/fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rootes

just bought this off fleabay..

best mate has been to pick it up for me so won't get it myself until next week.....

never had a single speed road bike before..

acd5_1.jpg

Si

Phixion

Nice mate, enjoy it.

I will definitely be buying a fixed gear bike in the future!

OP
OP
R

rootes

still havn't picked this up from my mates house...

any tips for ridinf fixed (apart from keep pedalling!)?

Andy Pandy

There no great secret to it apart from just keep pedalling. You will be amazed at the number of things that you used to do freewheeling, but after a few hours it will feel natural. The only thing I struggled with at the start was clipping in while pedalling, but it came after a bit. Enjoy.

ASC1951

Guru
rootes said:
any tips for ridinf fixed (apart from keep pedalling!)?
I've been riding fixed and free for years and I still occasionally catch myself out, trying to stand on the pedals on the fixed bike and freewheeel a few yards. I only do it when I'm going slowly and not concentrating - like peering over the side of a bridge - but it does perk me up for the rest of the ride!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Biggest tip, if you ride with someone thats geared, dont ride close behind, you will notice how they dont ride fluently, and you will soon get bored of having to keep leg braking when they freewheel. Biggest problem i had today, i found the fixed would just keep going, like a train i think, and when someone freewheels they think the speed doesnt drop, or drops slowly, but really you will notice it.

RedBike

It's almost second nature to freewheel when you hit a pot-hole or when you lean the bike over in a quick turn. If you do try and freewheel you'll be given a very sharp reminder not to.

My biggest tip is never ever wear baggy trousers or shoes with laces. This comes from bitter experiance!

Andy Pandy

Another tip - keep you fingers away from a moving chain and sprocket.

kyuss

Veteran
I'm also a fixed newbie. My Giant Bowery came this morning and I'm just back after taking it for a spin. Someone please tell me it gets easier because that ride was just awful. Stopping and starting was a nightmare and I was shitting myself the whole time. I kept trying to freewheel to get my legs in the right position for clipping out at lights even when I was making a concerted effort not too, and I made a total arse of myself in front of 2 other cyclists outside the supermarket when pulling away, again trying to freewhweel to get my legs in the right postion.:sad:

Once on the go I was fine but it seems freewheeling at lights is a hard habit to break even when you really concentrate.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I found clipping into fixed easier. Push down then when the pedal comes up use that to get you on the seat, then slow the pedal down, and put your foot down for the pedal to clip into, wait till it comes over then push down on it.
Stopping is easy, slow down so your not moving fast, then just unclip like normal, try an time it right so your foot is always in the rigt place to start off, if not either roll yourself back, or pull the front brake and lift the back wheel up so your pedal gets in the right place.
It does get easier, just relax more, relax your legs and enjoy the ride. The times i have forgot to keep pedling is when i have gone from standing up to sitting down, which you will find soon goes.
Leg break as you come up to lights, dont do hard leg braking, but just roll up to them and take your time, you should find that you just keep pedling. Do it more by just relaxing your legs so that they slow the pedling down.
Maybe dont concentrate, just relax your legs and let the pedals push your legs around. It'll get easier.
Relax, smile and look good:becool:

kyuss

Veteran
Cheers for the tips Joe.

It's now dark, so I'm heading out to find somewhere deserted. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
kyuss said:
Cheers for the tips Joe.

It's now dark, so I'm heading out to find somewhere deserted. Practice makes perfect I guess.
It does become second nature. My fixed had toe-clips with straps and toe-overlap and I don't recall any mishaps. Once you can trackstand who needs to worry about clipping-in/out anyway :biggrin:

One word of advice is to keep clear of kerbs.

kyuss

Veteran
The second outing wasn't too bad. Being dark and deserted helped me relax a little. I'm getting the hang of it already. Theres a rattly noise from the rear end over rough ground, which I think might be the unused freewheel on the other side of the hub, which I'll need to get sorted before it drives me nuts, but I'm well chuffed. I think I'm going to enjoy blasting round town on this.

Strange thing is I came home and for some reason my stomach muscles are now killing me.:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom