New Bike for my wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigel Smith

Hi I havn't bought a new bike for many years, my last one was a secondhand one off a friends dad which is still going strong and my other was a Christmas present off the wife. Prior to that I was 14 when I bought a Falcon racing bike. So it's many years, I want to buy my wife a bike she likes the old style ladies bike with chain guards and whicker basket, I am completely out of touch with what is classed as a good make, I recognize Dawes cycles as they used to be good when i was younger, as were Falcon and Raleigh, but I think Raleigh may have gone down hill a bit so to speak.

Any ideas on makes of Ladies bikes with a basket ect, I've seen Pashley on the net, which although pricey, I would concider stretching to, if they were really, really good. But would be financially happier if i could spend £300 ish, as the type of bike it is it will spend the majority of it's life in the garage or shed. Any sugestions please.

rollinstok

Go on...treat her to the Pashley.. great bike
If you wanted to be financially happier you would never have got married !! ^_^

rollinstok

If you want a real bargain, look in the For Sale section at a Universal that DCLane has on there.
My Mrs has the same one but with a big wicker basket on the front ( so they are available ) and she loves it, it comes out 5 or 6 times a year ( the bike that is - not the wife ) and takes her along the prom to the cafe in the park and back.

dandare

We have just bought my missus a Specialized Globe Daily one. It has a basket already fitted. The quality is outstanding, price was £400.00. It is so much lighter than any other ladies step through bikes such as Raleigh or Dawes. We did look at the Pashley Poppy but for £50.00 more it was no where near as good.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Despite the prestige, Pashleys are very heavy. I have a femail colleague who goes on touring holidays on her ladies Specialized hybrid, but she has a new Pashley too. She says it's OK for a gentle pootle down to the shops, but wouldn't do any distance or hills on it - far too heavy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I bought my wife a Pinnacle Stratus 3.0 a couple of years ago - she loves it - 700C wheels, light and quick. Vast improvement on her old 'decent' Apollo ladies MTB (mint condition - yes I bought it for her - wasn't used much)

Go on...treat her to the Pashley.. great bike
If you wanted to be financially happier you would never have got married !! ^_^

There was a young lady on the ferry today.

Very pretty, very elegant, and on a Pashley Princess.

Somehow it was just right, a mountain bike would not have been "right"

rollinstok

Buy her as expensive as you can afford... then when you want a new expensive bike you can use it as ammo :laugh:

Thats the way to do it.
Another way to do it is to spend £900 on a bike... £600 cash from the stash and £300 on your card. If she asks how much you spent just show her the £300 receipt... result, only a third of the bol...king.

top-tube

Über Member
Got my missus a Ridgeback Meteor open frame bike in December, for £350. Traditional looks, matte black, but modern aluminium frame so lightweigh, and decent enough components (including 24 speed set up) and 700c wheels. She's very happy with it, and cycling more as a result. No basket though, but does have a handy rear pannier rack.
51CkgKmjJ0L._SS500_.jpg

Attachments

• 51CkgKmjJ0L._SS500_.jpg
    51CkgKmjJ0L._SS500_.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 27
Top Bottom