New Bike for sub £700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SoulOnIce

I went out for my first real session of MTB in the Yorkshire Dales this weekend. I stopped at Dales Mountain Biking (review of centre here on the review boards) who offer accommodation, bike hire and great advice on routes to take - well recommended place to stop.

Anyway I got the bug and want to get myself a bike. So I've come to the oracle for advice. Key points to note:

- the max I can spend is £700 though closer to £550 would be better
- I am fine cycling up the hills cos I commute on my hybrid regularly and run, so my cardio and legs are pretty good
- I am very much a beginner on the downhill stuff so I think I need something reasonably forgiving cos whilst I won't be doing any mad downhill stuff I will be doing some technical riding
- I know with the money I have a hardtail is the only option - and I'm cool with that.
- I will ride a bit on more strightforward trails so front sus lockout would be prefereable
- I want disc brakes
- I am about 90 kg if rider weight makes a difference

Any suggestions gratefully received

Mr Pig

I have one of these:

http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=6277&v=1

It's a comfortable geometry steel-framed bike that's very much set up for off road. The spec is good for a steel bike at the price and the backup if anything goes wrong is good too. No lockout though. The fork seems to behave quite well though so I'm not missing it as much as I thought I might.

Mr Pig

Oh, that was last years price. List price is now nearer £700 but shop around and haggle and you'll get it for less. If you could find a 2008 model you've won a watch a the spec is almost exactly the same as the 2009 one.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Mr Pig said:

Looks good for the money!

Also consider GT Avalanche 1.0, reasonable spec, (but not as good as the giant above I might add!)

or one of these:
http://www.dalescycles.com/2009_Merida_Matts_60_D_p/meridamat60d.htm

You have a budget right in the middle of the most competitive zone for decent entry-level or club competition standard hardtails. Every one of the bikes we have mentioned have their good points, but what it seems is that some will put an expensive frame together with good gears and skimp on forks, or shoe it with mediocre tyres.

At your price bracket you should be able to get quality frame, shimano Deore LS or similar front mech, and a 9 speed rear with Shimano XT. You'll get Hayes or shimano hydraulic disc brakes. Big difference will be in the quality of the forks. Personally I would avoid Suntour if you can, unless you are prepared to suffer a sticky front end after the first few rides on demanding stuff or prepared to save up for some better ones later!. If you can find a bike with Rockshox Dart 3 or Tora then you know you'll have a decent setup from the off.

Go and look at some. It may be that you get a gut feeling just looking! Better still, see if you can blag a test ride.

Before I finish, look also at Cannondale, Kona, Specialized........

djb1971

Legendary Member
Take a look on Pauls. I just got my force from there at a bargain price. The Giant mentioned above is lots cheaper . There's lots of hardtail and full sus. on there. I payed for mine @ 8.00pm wednesday evening, it was built on Thursday and delivered 7.30am Friday morning. I can also recommend the cubes. I'm wary of ebay, it's getting too dodgy with bike sales and if you buy used you don't get a warranty, worth the risk if you're getting a bargain but not when paying top price.

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s1p1746

experiment

XTCs are good, they'll be plenty strong enough and they're not too heavy either. Good frames, so if you decide to upgrade parts you'll have a good base.

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

I'm thinking of getting a Trek 6300

Thanks for all the replies folks. I have narrowed it down to ONE choice so far - the Trek 6300 at the sum of £675. Reasons for chosing the Trek:

- I want to get it via LBS rahter than internet so I have the backup in case owt goes wrong

- spec seems ok to me (though I am nowhere near as knowlegable on this stuff as the bike geeks who frequent CC) - has Rockshock Dart 3 forks; Avid Juicy discs brakes; Shimano Deore shifters, front & rear derailleurs.

- also I can get 0% finance on it

I am thinking of buying it sometime this week. So before I part with my cash can the oracle that is CC tell me this will be a good purchase.

OP
OP
SoulOnIce

SoulOnIce

Thanks again for all the advice folks - it really is helpful. But now I have another dilemma.

From the comments here I felt comfortable getting the Trek 6300 for £675. But I've just seen that the same shop is selling a Giant XTC 3 reduced from £750 to £600.

So which do you think is the better value - a Trek 6300 at £675 or the Giant XTC 3 at £600? As I'd already resigned myself to paying £675 for the Trek I don't mind paying this if it is better than the Giant, but if the Giant is a better spec and cheaper then it seems to be a no brainer. But I know next to now't abut bike specs so any advice would be gratefully received.

The specs are below.

Giant XTC 3 at £600
Frame. Fluid formed Aluxx SL aluminium
Fork. RockShox Tora 302 100mm travel, TurnKey lock out
Wheels. Alex DP-17 rims, Formula disc hubs
Gears. Shimano Deore shifters & front derailleur, XT Shadow rear derailleur, Shimano FCM-422 chainset
Brakes. Giant Root hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors

More detailed spec here:
http://www.dalescycles.com/2009_Giant_XTC_p/2009xtc3.htm

Trek 6300 at £675
Frame. Alpha Black Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, hydroformed bi-axial down tube and top tube, monostay seatstays, forged disc ready dropouts
Fork. Rock shox Dart 3 100mm travel with alloy steerer, preload adjustment & lockout
Wheels. Shimano M475 disc hubs on Bontrager Ranger 32 hole eyeletted rims
Gears. 27 Shimano Deore shifters, front & rear derailleurs
Brakes. Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes 185mm front, 160mm rear rotors.

More detailed spec here:
http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=1204&category_id=80

Mucho thanks oh oracle.

Top Bottom