New Bike Helmet day today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I've been thinking this for a while.

Would using a motorcycle helmet be a safer option than cycle helmets on urban roads?

View attachment 637605
I'm not at all sure they would be.

For me, hearing is important when riding, and motorcycle helmets block a lot more sound than cycle helmets. They also aren't designed for the same type of activity, so are generally both heavier and much less well ventilated, so you would get much too warm wearing a motorcycle helmet for cycling, unless you only ride very gently.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm not at all sure they would be.

For me, hearing is important when riding, and motorcycle helmets block a lot more sound than cycle helmets. They also aren't designed for the same type of activity, so are generally both heavier and much less well ventilated, so you would get much too warm wearing a motorcycle helmet for cycling, unless you only ride very gently.
I agree with your points concerning, hearing and getting too warm, I was thinking more about Urban Road cycling at low speeds, not for the cycle club runs.

Maybe, a motorcycle helmet might be safer on Urban Roads at low speed than a cycle helmet.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Maybe, a motorcycle helmet might be safer on Urban Roads at low speed than a cycle helmet.
At the risk of receiving demands for evidence, and getting this thread banished to the Helmet Dungeon, I would have thought* that at low speeds the advantages of the motorcycle helmet over the polystyrene cycle helmet would start to reduce and may disappear.

* "Think" here means "Guess wildly on the basis of no evidence whatsoever".

GuyBoden

Guru
At the risk of receiving demands for evidence, and getting this thread banished to the Helmet Dungeon, I would have thought* that at low speeds the advantages of the motorcycle helmet over the polystyrene cycle helmet would start to reduce and may disappear.

* "Think" here means "Guess wildly on the basis of no evidence whatsoever".
It's all documented in the latest COST 327 report:
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/wp-content...27-Motorcycle-Safety-Helmets-Final-report.pdf

Let me know what it means when you have read it all. :laugh:

I agree, guessing wildly is far more fun and much less effort.:okay:

icowden

Veteran
It's all documented in the latest COST 327 report:
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/wp-content...27-Motorcycle-Safety-Helmets-Final-report.pdf

Let me know what it means when you have read it all. :laugh:

I agree, guessing wildly is far more fun and much less effort.:okay:

It suggests that the faster you are going the more likely you are to have a severe head injury. It also suggests that the helmets do a good job of protecting the head at lower speeds although neck injuries are also problematic. One of the conclusions is that the COST327 research could be used to benefit users of Cycle Helmets and Horse Riding helmets etc to improve and develop testing standards.

In conclusion a motorbike helmet will keep your head safer than a cycle helmet, but there are a ton of other factors (reduced hearing, reduced visibility to a degree, weight of helmet, heat of head) which may be counter to its usefulness. It becomes more useful on a bike the faster you are going, unless you are getting to 40mph or greater speeds in which case you are still likely to get a head injury.

Medically, putting something soft / energy absorbing in the way of your head hitting something is always going to be better than your head hitting something without such a barrier. To debate the other factors and whether you need a lid in the first place, please tune in to the helmet thread!!:bicycle:

Medically, putting something soft / energy absorbing in the way of your head hitting something is always going to be better than your head hitting something without such a barrier. To debate the other factors and whether you need a lid in the first place, please tune in to the helmet thread!!:bicycle:
Until you consider spinal, and torsional brain injuries. Sorry!!! :bicycle: I'm gone!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
IMG_0236.JPG

reminds me of my first work commute. started out in my condo parking lot looking at my feet. looked up just in time NOT to slam into a neighbors pickup truck. going forward, w/o looking forward, is a no-no. helmet is a yes-yes, of course

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Until you consider spinal, and torsional brain injuries. Sorry!!! :bicycle: I'm gone!
... and concussion, and whether the attempted protection makes the impact more likely (through reduced hearing, overheating and much more)...

Back to the light banter mentioned in the opening post: don't you love it when someone uses the word "medically" when they mean "anatomically (because this is balls)" to bolster shoot? Do helmets that make you look more like a cock result in you talking more balls? :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
... and concussion, and whether the attempted protection makes the impact more likely (through reduced hearing, overheating and much more)...

Back to the light banter mentioned in the opening post: don't you love it when someone uses the word "medically" when they mean "anatomically (because this is balls)" to bolster shoot? Do helmets that make you look more like a cock result in you talking more balls? :laugh:
Never had a problem with either of those, and I use a full face helmet.

I agree with your points concerning, hearing and getting too warm, I was thinking more about Urban Road cycling at low speeds, not for the cycle club runs.

If I'm just nipping to the shops I leave the helmet at home. Low speeds and less traffic - I'd certainly not be using a motorbike helmet.

Top Bottom