New Bike Helmet day today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi ,this is not a bike helmet debate , just some light hearted banter and some appreciated views that you may have.
For the last 3 / 4 years I've been enjoying my Lival smart helmet.Over the time it's been great to use and I found the Bluetooth connection brilliant, to listen to my favorite tunes whilst cycling down the quiet lanes were I live.
Sadly though time has taken it's toll on it. The foam pads have virtually rotted away and the none replaceable battery will not charge anymore. With the many thousands of miles I've used it , it's now looking pretty sorry for it self to say the least.
So today it was a trip to Halfords for a new skid lid.There was a big choice of helmets and I duly tried each one on ranging from £30 upwards..
I looked a right old git in every one, and being the wrong side of 50 with a face like the back end of a bus doesn't help matters.
I must look awful when combined with wearing my cycling gear looking like a sack of spuds🤣 (I very rarely look in the mirror to save self embarrassment )
After trying them all on ,I decided there cheapy in house brand suited my needs and pocket. As none of them looked particular flattering I thought( in for a penny in for a pound) on the bad taste stakes and opted for a high Viz green coloured road bike helmet for the grand total of £30.
My thinking was it will stand out more on the busier roads and make me more visible ,even if I do look a right plonker wearing it.
This afternoon I went out on a 40 mile ride and was very pleased with it. The ventillation seems much better than my old Lival and it was very comfortable too.
So is there much difference between a cheap and an expensive helmet in terms of protection?
What about helmet colours too. As a motorist would you think a bright florescent green helmet would catch your eye more as opposed to a more darker coloured skid lid.
All the best,
Johnny,

classic33

Leg End Member
Will you be attempting to remove the electronics, intact, from the old helmet?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I was thinking of having a go to be honest as I've got nothing to lose.It all seems really well sealed though and I'm a bit heavy handed and will nodoubt end up completely destroying it

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I must look awful when combined with wearing my cycling gear looking like a sack of spuds🤣
Almost nobody looks good in it. Even some national-team pro riders look awful. There is a rude cartoon of a FPKW with a disc-wheeled TT bike that I'll post later if not beaten to it!

As for protection, price and tested level don't correlate. You can pay loads for a basic Euro Norm helmet or get a tougher Snell or MIPS one cheaper, but does MIPS mean better protection? It's still disputed, even besides the general helmet debate!

Colour? I've never heard of it being significant. Surely it's too small an area to be seen much, unless you're riding head-down, which is crazy dangerous anyway.

simongt

Guru
but does MIPS mean better protection?
Interesting point. With all the 'test certificates' that get sold as part of the pitch, are you actually going to know that they do what they claim until that fateful day when you nut the tarmac - ? :whistle:

classic33

Leg End Member
The Halfords Commuter lid at £ 35 looks a good shape.I am leaning towards Planet X sl Podium Carnac not quite sure what looks like a flat square back.
Something like this in that space?

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Another one here for Planet X helmets, although I think it's a case of trying some and finding out what fits your head shape best. You really can't go wrong at Planet X or Decathlon prices.

icowden

Veteran
The ventillation seems much better than my old Lival and it was very comfortable too.
So is there much difference between a cheap and an expensive helmet in terms of protection?

The price doesn't seem to be a factor particularly.
These guys do their own tests on cycle helmets

https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

The Specialized Align II Mips is $50 scoring 9.55, the best rated helmet (Specialized Tactic 4 MIPS) is $110 at 8.55 whereas the Rudy Project Racemaster MIPS rates at 12.31 but costs $350. The Kali Tava rates 22.33 and is $240.

They rate MIPS helmets above non MIPS for safety based on their own testing methodology based on the STAR system which does seem to have some scientific method behind it at least at is used for sports helmet testing across multiple sports.

Top Bottom