New Bike Helmet day today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Weren't those watches luminescent rather than fluorescent?
OK I'm setting myself up for a fall here but I from memory:

I think the watches are specifically phosphorescent. But both phosporescent and flourescent things are luminescent.

Flourescent things re-emit the incident light (almost) instantaneously. Phosphorent things save the incident light up and re-emit it over a period of time (which is how those watches with "luminous" tips on their hands worked - you had to charge them up under a light source first).

I think luminescent is just a blanket term for things that give off light.

But I could be wrong, and don't have time or inclination to look it up.

icowden

Veteran
Does it actually fluoresce at night like old school analogue watches? If not, it’ll be no more noticed by a driver than a black helmet.
I take it you aren't aware of reflectivity then?

I have, on a couple of occasions in the late evening / night seen an oncoming rider on some of the winding roads around here by virtue of a reflective helmet reflecting the streetlights.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Really old watches were radioluminous, using radium to keep the phosphors glowing. Current watches have pretty useless lume which only glows brightly for a few minutes after exposure to light.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

I have, on a couple of occasions in the late evening / night seen an oncoming rider on some of the winding roads around here by virtue of a reflective helmet reflecting the streetlights.

and you know this “fluorescent“ helmet is more reflective than any other helmet how?

Personally what I notice first at night is bike lights. I have no idea what colour helmet the rider may or may not be wearing.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
They were (oops) but I’m not aware that fluorescent means it is any more noticeable after dark than any other colour.
I don't know where night visibility came into this - I think the OP was asking about daytime visibility, or at least wasn't specific about time of day.

Flourescent materials get an extra bit of oomph by converting ultra-violet light from the sun into visible light. As there isn't much/any sun at night, unless you are in the arctic or antarctic, this isn't going to work at night. So to make yourself seen you'll be relying on your lights, primarily, plus any reflective bits you happen to have. Possibly on your hat.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't know where night visibility came into this - I think the OP was asking about daytime visibility, or at least wasn't specific about time of day.

Flourescent materials get an extra bit of oomph by converting ultra-violet light from the sun into visible light. As there isn't much/any sun at night, unless you are in the arctic or antarctic, this isn't going to work at night. So to make yourself seen you'll be relying on your lights, primarily, plus any reflective bits you happen to have. Possibly on your hat.
Or ride an unusual bicycle/cycle

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Or ride an unusual bicycle/cycle

Which is far more effective as we know

Alex321

Veteran
I have an Aldi Bikemate helmet. While I can't quite be 100% sure how hard I hit my head, there are scratches and mud on the helmet after my crash a fortnight ago, so my head definitely did hit the ground and I never felt any pain to the head, nor did I black out or anything similar, so it seems to have done its job.

It will, of course, now be retired, but I have another the same (unused - bought for a grandchild who didn't then want it).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Almost nobody looks good in it. Even some national-team pro riders look awful. There is a rude cartoon of a FPKW with a disc-wheeled TT bike that I'll post later if not beaten to it!
Not Safe For Work, click to reveal in compatible browsers:
helmet_rude.jpg

Are you sure of that ? The light reflects back to the source hence it being so bright.
If you have a headlight or even better a helmet light roadsigns reflect back very well. They don't reflect streetlights well at all.

Reflectives are great but only at night.

Top Bottom