New bike: Kara Kum or...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

Hi all,

After not doing any real cycling for nearly twenty years (I loved it as a teenager) I am getting a touring bike and, as a Galaxy is out of my budget, I think I am going for the Kara Kum. But I have a few questions:

1. Kara Kum - any good or bad experiences? I have neck pain occasionally and heard the butterfly bars are good for that. I am not quite convinced about the looks, but they have a quirky charm!

2. Is there an bike at a similar price that is better? I can't find anything I like as much for the price to be honest.

3. Any opinions/tips on essential kit?

4. Maintainance isn't my strong point, but I have been reading up, as I am determined to look after my bike. I will take it into a LBS for anything out of my league, but I would like to get so I can do a lot of stuff myself. I have been looking online, but I would like a book. Any suggestions?

Cheers :evil:

My wife fell in love with one of these on first try some 5 years ago and has toured extensively on it with full luggage and no problems. She has grip problems and the butterfly bars with the numerous positions were ideal. I think that you need to ride one to see if you get on.

As to maintenance, it is no worse tha any other derailleur touring bike. The "Haynes manual" is quite good for illustrated maintenance.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

That was fast - great! Yeah - I am going to have a look at one this weekend. Do you know if the specs are the same/better or worse than the Horizon?

I will check out the Haynes manual.

Thanks a lot.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Bandini said:
Hi all,

After not doing any real cycling for nearly twenty years (I loved it as a teenager) I am getting a touring bike and, as a Galaxy is out of my budget, I think I am going for the Kara Kum. But I have a few questions:

1. Kara Kum - any good or bad experiences? I have neck pain occasionally and heard the butterfly bars are good for that. I am not quite convinced about the looks, but they have a quirky charm!

2. Is there an bike at a similar price that is better? I can't find anything I like as much for the price to be honest.

3. Any opinions/tips on essential kit?

4. Maintainance isn't my strong point, but I have been reading up, as I am determined to look after my bike. I will take it into a LBS for anything out of my league, but I would like to get so I can do a lot of stuff myself. I have been looking online, but I would like a book. Any suggestions?

Cheers :tongue:

Road Bike Maintenance ISBN 978-0-7136-8199-4

My current bedside read.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I've had a look at the Kara Kum, and it's a well specced bike for not too much cash. Adjustable bars, 27 speed, front and rear racks. And 2.5 kilos lighter than my bike!!

Let me know how you get on with it?

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'd give Spa Cycles in Harrogate a ring and see if they have a Kara Kum or Horizon in stock that you could try.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Cheers CP and Helen.

Good to know the specs are decent for the money. I was going to try one this weekend, but got something on now, so I will do it soon. I will let you know what it is like.

Can't wait to get riding!

mike1026

I bought a Kara Kum in April this year and have done nearly 3000 miles on it since, about 60% of that mileage being fully loaded with front low rider panniers rear panniers and tent. It was a snap purchase as my dealer had this bike in stock for a long while and I got a good discount.
On my first camping trip to North Wales in April the front nearside rack broke and I took it in to a cycle shop in Queensferry, Shotton Cycles. They were brilliant and did a temporary repair, while working on it we found that the bolts securing the rack were only held into the frame lug by a couple of threads this bolt had broken. The front racks as fitted are woefully inadequate. I took it back to my cycle dealer and had the front racks replaced with a much more substantial Blackburn rack and it has been superb very strong and no problems. This bike has otherwise been faultless very comfortable a pleasure to use and reliable. The highlight of our touring together so far was a trip along the North Sea cycle route from the Hoek to Hamburg in July.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Cheers Mike - that could well have saved me a lot of hassle! I will look into stronger front panniers before I will need them in spring. The voucher came today, so I will hopefully have it soon.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
An alternative worth considering is the Decathlon Triban 7. I bought one in France this summer for €399 ~ £345; here they are £299. I bought it as a replacement for a bike whose rear drop out fracture while I was in Orleans and the Triban proved to be a bargain:

Mudguards
Dynamo lighting
Rear rack
SRAM 4 derailleurs
Front suspension with lock out.

It's proved to be a very comfortable ride and I finished my tour with no problems at all.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Sounds great value - but I think I have fallen for the Kara Kum now. Maybe, it is partly beacuse I have many happy memory of riding my Dawes for miles as a kid. Don't know what model it was, but my Dad got it cheap in 1985, when I was 14, from an old guy who had it sat in a shed for years. I don't know the model, but it was a lovely road bike with engraved handlebars, fast, and amazingly light (well, compared to the horrible thing I had before it). I biked all over on it...

Er....got a bit memory lane there. Anyway, think I am sold on the Kara Kum.

Top Bottom